• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Earthlink Billing.............

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

scamer02

What is the name of your state? MO
Called Earthlink for hi speed Satellite hookup. Customer Rep told me my bill would be $69 a month with free installation. I have an email to my company confirming the converstaion and pricing quoted to me. Got it installed. Received my first bill for $1000!! Called and they said that's the equipment charges. The ONLY place this pricing is listed is on THEIR webpage. I was moving and did not have internet access. They said Terms of Agreement were on the install disc. (connect hardware to the satellite) Their installer installed the disc and "nexted" thru everything. Plus, they do not mention any prices, only to go to the website. Terms are also in a welcome booklet. No mention of these charges. They say because the connection was made from my laptop to their satellite that I'm responsible. Also have the install contract which mentions nothing about charges. Am I responsible if their CS rep is new and doesn't mention the charges, nothing is signed and there's no other place to see what I'd be charged? I think they should pay.

JETX

And exactly what did Earthlink say when you contacted them in WRITING saying that their installation charges were not mentioned or noticed due tot THEIR installer, and that you have NOT used their service AT ALL, and to come get it???

Or have you continued to use their service, now with knowledge of their charges??

UPDATE: I just went over to their website and after clicking on the "Earthlink Satellite" button, I was taken to a page describing their services. On the left side of the page is a link named 'prices'. When I clicked on that, I was immediately taken to a page showing:
"Feature Specifics
Monthly Service* $69.95
Equipment* $749.95 (lined through, sale priced) $649.95
Standard Installation/Activation Fee $249.95
Total Standard UpFront $999.90 (lined through, sale priced) $899.90
Term Commitment (contract) 12 months
Early Termination Penalty $399.00
Adaptor and Installation (to receive Satellite Internet and DirecTV video on same dish)* $100.00
Extra Mailboxes $4.95 per mailbox
*Monthly cost includes EarthLink Satellite Internet service only. DIRECTV service is provided by DIRECTV and billed separately."
Here is the link: https://register.earthlink.net/cgi-bin/wsisa.dll/broadband/satellite/pricing.html?drn=8c45ec5c97ce654e71c244807e4d35f6
Seems pretty clear to me. Your problem now becomes... how do you prove YOUR version of the facts against theirs.

Last edited:
S

scamer02

I had been using the service for about a month and then received my first bill. Read it, called them. They essentially told me "too bad" about my problem. They stated the prices are on their website. I said "yeah, but that's the ONLY place and your CS agent never mentioned anything about that." I've since sent in my first bill paying $69 (monthly recurring charge I agreed to) and disputed the rest in writing. They refuse to take back the equipment claiming that I own it once a connection is made. This whole deal is a collaboration between Hues Satellite, Earthlink and DirecWay (subsidiary of DirecTV) Seems apparent there are holes in their M&P's across all three companies. Additionally, I told them I had just got DirecTV installed with the equipment, receivers etc for free. Why would I think this would be different, especially since their rep told me the installation was free??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">