• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

email agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DWArch

Texas

I employed my girlfriend for a short period of time and upon her termination (she quit and she also broke up with me) she agreed to reimburse me for three weeks salary upon receipt of an inheritance she was to receive. The amount I gave her was $2500.

I have several emails and a verbal agreement with her that she would do this. My question is are emails admissable in small claims court in addition to a verbal agreement that she would reimburse me.

DWArch

Just Blue

Texas

I employed my girlfriend for a short period of time and upon her termination (she quit and she also broke up with me) she agreed to reimburse me for three weeks salary upon receipt of an inheritance she was to receive. The amount I gave her was $2500.

I have several emails and a verbal agreement with her that she would do this. My question is are emails admissable in small claims court in addition to a verbal agreement that she would reimburse me.

DWArch
Why would she agree to "reimburse" you for salary she received? Do you expect her to work for free?:confused:

BoredAtty

Texas

DWArch
Emails will probably be admissible, as well as your verbal testimony (evidence rules are generally relaxed in small claims court).

Bear in mind, however, that contract laws are still applicable. If you offered no consideration for the return of the $2500, then she merely promised to give you a gift. Promises of gifts are usually unenforceable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">