• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emotional Distress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Panda_Bear

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello, My dog bit another dog. We paid the medical bills, but are being threatened with the owner filing in small claims court for emotional distress if we don't apy her money..

There was a statement of services received from a therapist and homeopath, but nothing specific, like bills, dates of service, etc (just a request for money)

What should we do?

Julia

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello, My dog bit another dog. We paid the medical bills, but are being threatened with the owner filing in small claims court for emotional distress if we don't apy her money..

There was a statement of services received from a therapist and homeopath, but nothing specific, like bills, dates of service, etc (just a request for money)

What should we do?

Julia
If you paid the vet bill for the other dog, then you have fulfilled your obligation.

When they ask you again for money tell them to take a hike. There is "emotional distress" in small claims.

latigo

The first thing you need to do is to notify the company providing your homeowner's or renter's insurance to learn whether the coverage includes or excludes animal liability in general, or exludes liability coverage for certain breeds.

I trust the animal has been destroyed.

Panda_Bear

The first thing you need to do is to notify the company providing your homeowner's or renter's insurance to learn whether the coverage includes or excludes animal liability in general, or exludes liability coverage for certain breeds.

I trust the animal has been destroyed.
We have already contacted our homeowners.

Because it was not considered a serious injury, we were not required to have our dog destroyed. He was to be considered a "pontentially dangerous" dog (the lowest level of restriction) for one year. However, we made the decision to do it anyway (ourselves), because we felt we couldn't take the chance.

CourtClerk

Pets in CA are still considered property. You can't get "emotional distress" for a dog biting a dog. It would be like suing me because I kicked the table. Dog/Table... same difference.

(no offense to those of you who dress your dogs up like children, give them birthday parties and all the rest of that stuff)

Antigone*

(no offense to those of you who dress your dogs up like children, give them birthday parties and all the rest of that stuff)
My pooch, Juicy, is very pampered. He does dress he has a car seat and he loves playing with his friends at the dog park - I was not in the least offended :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">