• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer owes unpaid wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chaz3rd

What is the name of your state? TX

Hello,

I worked for a company in the summer of 2006 that ran into financial problems and stopped paying it's employees. The payroll checks bounced and we were promised that they would make up for the unpaid wages. Week after week went by and most people ended up quitting, including myself, because we were basically working for free. I thought the company was going under, but I recently saw a job posting for them and I still haven't been paid from the money that they owe.

Is it too late to take them to small claims court to get my wages since the incident is a year and a half old? The amount owed is a little over $2,000.

Thanks,
Chaz

dcatz

It’s not too late, but you may make more headway and not be in litigation or in the position of having to enforce a judgment by filing a complaint with the Texas Workforce Commission, which is responsible for enforcing the Texas Payday Law, and filing a wage claim.

The kinds of payments subject to the Texas Payday Law include compensation for services rendered regardless of how they are computed, commissions and bonuses according to the agreement between the parties, and certain fringe benefits due under a written agreement with or policy of the employer. Expense reimbursements, gratuities, gifts and the like are not considered wages and are not covered by the Texas Payday Law. Unless an employee agrees in writing to accept part or all of his/her wages in kind, or in another form, wages must be paid in United States currency, a written instrument negotiable on demand at full face value for United States currency, or by electronic transfer of funds.

Wages must be delivered to the employee at her/his regular place of work during working hours, mailed by registered mail to be received by the employee not later than payday, by any reasonable means, or to any person authorized in writing by the employee.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/lablaw/lablaw.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">