• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer refusing to pay me final wages (Indiana)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AFrnswrth

I live in Indiana.

To start at the beginning I worked for my ex employer from March 2012 to March 2013 when I resigned with 2 weeks notice. After putting in my two weeks notice on March 27 I was told to return all the equipment and that my last day of work would be March 29. The contract that I signed with my employer states that I am "to be paid $2,000.00 a month" salaried. I sent a demand letter on April 5th via email and certified mail and received a response with a letter saying that they did not owe me any money and that for the month of March I was paid on Feb 28 and Mar 15. Now to me that sounds like they have "pre-paid" me for my work to be completed which was never agreed upon at any point. When I asked them about that they stated that they do not "pre-pay" employees and that I still was owed no money.

I am seeking my final wages of $1,000.00 and damages allowed by law in Indiana of 10% of the original amount per day not exceeding double the original claim.

I have little to no experience with this and do not have the money to afford a lawyer and am in dire need of my final wages.

Thanks for the help!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you were an employee (W-2 at the end of the year) then employment law applies and you have the option of filing a complaint for any unpaid wages with the state DOL. The state will decide whether penalties apply.

If you were a contractor (1099 at the end of the year) then employment law does NOT apply and it becomes a matter of contract law. In that case, the appropriate forum would be small claims court if the amount owed falls within the limit; civil court otherwise.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's also possible that the OP was a "1099 worker" but should have been classified as an employee. OP should contact the state for guidance.

AFrnswrth

So since I have filed an SS-8 should I just let the Dept of Labor take it over and make a claim with them and let it be? How often should I follow up, etc?

LdiJ

So since I have filed an SS-8 should I just let the Dept of Labor take it over and make a claim with them and let it be? How often should I follow up, etc?
No, because it will take months for a determination to be made on the SS-8 and even then the DOL might not help you. Sue in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">