• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Empty threats or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lyndsay0504

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years. Before he dated me, he dated another girl for about a year. All of a sudden she has come back harrassing us (calling, e-mailing, etc) about a key that he supposedly had 3 years ago that she now wants back. He no longer has the key and she refuses to believe this. She works as a receptionist for a law firm and she claims that she has spoken to the attorney she works for and that if he doesn't return the key that her attorney will come to our house with the police to get her key back. I'm pretty sure that these are empty threats but I just wanted to make sure. Also, is this grounds for any kind of restraining order to keep her from contacting us? Thank you.What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

lyndsay0504 said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years. Before he dated me, he dated another girl for about a year. All of a sudden she has come back harrassing us (calling, e-mailing, etc) about a key that he supposedly had 3 years ago that she now wants back. He no longer has the key and she refuses to believe this. She works as a receptionist for a law firm and she claims that she has spoken to the attorney she works for and that if he doesn't return the key that her attorney will come to our house with the police to get her key back. I'm pretty sure that these are empty threats but I just wanted to make sure. Also, is this grounds for any kind of restraining order to keep her from contacting us? Thank you.What is the name of your state?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=230110

Q: I'm pretty sure that these are empty threats but I just wanted to make sure.

A: I don't know those folks so I can't say.

Q: Also, is this grounds for any kind of restraining order to keep her from contacting us?

A: It may be grounds for your sweetie but since she's not bothering you, you cannot get one against her.

lyndsay0504

seniorjudge said:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=230110

Q: I'm pretty sure that these are empty threats but I just wanted to make sure.

A: I don't know those folks so I can't say.

Q: Also, is this grounds for any kind of restraining order to keep her from contacting us?

A: It may be grounds for your sweetie but since she's not bothering you, you cannot get one against her.
What I meant by empty threats was that there really is nothing an attorney can do if we really just do not have the key anymore. She keeps threatening that her attorney is going to come over or she's going to press charges. I just wanted to make sure there really was nothing that she could press charges for. Thanks for your help. :)

lyndsay0504

fairisfair said:
you change your email and your phone number,
she changes her locks.
presto, no more problem.
We had to do that about a year ago when we had problems with her. Im not changing my email and phone number every year just because she can't control herself. I have mentioned to her about getting her locks changed because there's nothing else I can do to resolve her problem. Hopefully she does it and just leaves us alone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">