• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Entering without swipe the card - MTA ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kammo75

Hi,

I got an unfair ticket from the MTA. A cop issued me a $100 fine for entering a subway gate without swiping ticket. He didn't listen my excuse why I didn't get chance to swipe the card. I was pushing baby stroller through exit gate and I had MTA ticket showing clearly in my hand. I didn't get chance to swipe it thats was my mistake.

Officer wrote in ticket details I was trying to enter without paying lawful fare. I argued its incorrect. I had ticket and I openly showed that to the officer.

Can I defend it? What are the chances to win? If I pay the fine, how long it will stay in my record?

thanks
-kammo

You Are Guilty

Can I defend it?
Of course. it is your constitutional right to plead not guilty.
What are the chances to win?
Pretty bad (but more than zero)
If I pay the fine, how long it will stay in my record?
What record? If you got a TAB ticket, it's a violation, not a "crime",

Read this thread for more information (and some laughs):
https://forum.freeadvice.com/small-claims-courts-24/got-busted-out-metrocard-235484.html
Welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">