• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

errant golf ball

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nad

What is the name of your state? texas

my son hit a golf ball that a golf course home owner claims hit his car parked in his garage. my son is almost 22. i am being sued for damages by the homwowner. is a golfer liable for damages of his errant shot and can i be sued for a ball hit by my son?

HomeGuru

Nad said:
What is the name of your state? texas

my son hit a golf ball that a golf course home owner claims hit his car parked in his garage. my son is almost 22. i am being sued for damages by the homwowner. is a golfer liable for damages of his errant shot and can i be sued for a ball hit by my son?
**A: was your son playing on the golf course as a properly registered guest? Why don't you tell us the complete facts?

JETX

"is a golfer liable for damages of his errant shot"
*** Normally, no, as long as the golf shot was reasonable for the course being played on. Simply, the damaged party assumes the risk of having his property near the golf course. However, in this case, since the car was damaged while in his garage (apparently), the liability would depend on the specific facts. For example, I would doubt that anyone would knowingly 'aim' their garage such that it is in the 'line of fire' to a nearby golf shot..... which would then need to determine whether your son was possibly aiming at the car at the time.

"and can i be sued for a ball hit by my son?"
*** Normally, no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">