• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evasive Defendant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

adhender

What is the name of your state? california

I am taking someone to small claims court over a refundable $1,000 deposit for an apt. that I did not rent. No contracts (verbal or nonverbal) were signed, only a receipt for the deposit I gave her. The defendant stated that I would have to take her to court to get the money back. After doing so, she evaded the sheriff when he attempted to serve the court papers. I have, subsequently, hired a private investigator to stake out her place of residence and serve the papers. It has been 3 weeks and the papers have yet to be served for various reasons. Is there any other legal recourse that I can take to collect the money?

JETX

Why not just have her served by mail??
California provides for alternative service in the event that the defendant cannot be served personally.

California Code of Civil Procedure (§415.20)(b):
"If a copy of the summons and of the complaint cannot with reasonable diligence be personally delivered to the person to be served as specified in Section 416.60, 416.70, 416.80, or 416.90, a summons may be served by leaving a copy of the summons and of the complaint at such person's dwelling house, usual place of abode, usual place of business, or usual mailing address other than a United States Postal Service post office box, in the presence of a competent member of the household or a person apparently in charge of his or her office, place of business, or usual mailing address other than a United States Postal Service post office box, at least 18 years of age, who shall be informed of the contents thereof, and by thereafter mailing a copy of the summons and of the complaint (by first-class mail, postage prepaid) to the person to be served at the place where a copy of the summons and of the complaint were left. Service of a summons in this manner is deemed complete on the 10th day after the mailing."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">