• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

writercj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

i am being evicted for nonpayment of rent, what will happen when i go to court since i don't have the $5400 to bring to court?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

i am being evicted for nonpayment of rent, what will happen when i go to court since i don't have the $5400 to bring to court?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
First of all, you should be asking this question in the Real Estate Law / Landlord Tenant section. This is not a small claims issue if it's already proceeded to court eviction action.

That being said, here is what you can expect:
You (should have) received a notice of some sort that said you had to pay rent, and that if you didn't by a certain date, you'd be evicted. I take it that you didn't, so you were served with eviction papers from the court.

Once you are served with notice from the court that an eviction action has been filed, you have a specific amount of time to respond (depending on state & jurisdiction). If that time passes and you have done nothing, the landlord can request a default judgment against you. Once that happens, they can get possession of the property back from you with just a few days notice.

Let's say you do respond. You have to prove your case in court to keep the judge from giving possession of your rented property back to the landlord. Plus they can get a judgment against you for the rent you never paid.

I would suggest you contact an attorney RIGHT AWAY to protect your rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">