• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

evidence question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EbayBob

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I am considering filing a case against my neighbor for concrete work I hired him for that he now refuses to complete. There is an initial agreement, lots of emails, and some verbal agreements that I have to build my case with, but could build a better case if I could obtain some of the receipts my neighbor has for items he purchased to do the work.

Am I entitled to obtaining copies of those receipts because they are relevant to my case, or does he first have to submit them as his evidence before I am entitled to them?

Are emails valid in themselves, or do I need to somehow get confirmation from my email provider that they are valid to also present?

Thanks in advance.

seniorjudge

Most small claims courts have very liberal evidence rules.

Check out what your state allows and post back if you have any questions with reference to the small claims rules you find (cite the rule when asking the question).

EbayBob

Thanks for the reply seniorjudge......I am new to all this, and wasnt aware of these "rules" you were refering to, but was able to locate them......42 pages covering just evidence. They dont specifically address email, but as you stated, and others I have spoken to, small claims is more liberal on these matters.

Any thoughts on my obtaining receipts that the defendant has that I feel can help my case? Am I entitled to receive them?...I am sure they contain their cost information that they would rather I didnt see, and I dont really need those details. I more need the dates from them to validate my timeline in an effort to prove a few things. From everything I have researched, it appears, unless they are used as part of their defense, I may have to specifically request permission to obtain them through the court.

Thanks again for the reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">