• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex asks for gifts back.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cks6889

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My ex gave me a MacBook laptop for Christmas last year and we also got engaged that Christmas. I think that he is still making payments on both the ring and the MacBook, but I'm not sure exactly how he payed for them. Just a few weeks ago, he was arrested for a domestic battery charge against me. I have an order of protection against him so I contacted his father to get his personal items back to him, including the engagement ring. His father said that he wants the ring back and my MacBook laptop that he gave me for Christmas. I have no problem whatsoever giving him the engagement ring back, but do I legally have to give him back my MacBook since it was a gift, even if he may still be paying it off?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My ex gave me a MacBook laptop for Christmas last year and we also got engaged that Christmas. I think that he is still making payments on both the ring and the MacBook, but I'm not sure exactly how he payed for them. Just a few weeks ago, he was arrested for a domestic battery charge against me. I have an order of protection against him so I contacted his father to get his personal items back to him, including the engagement ring. His father said that he wants the ring back and my MacBook laptop that he gave me for Christmas. I have no problem whatsoever giving him the engagement ring back, but do I legally have to give him back my MacBook since it was a gift, even if he may still be paying it off?
Do not give back the computer. That belongs to you.

Jendor

I'm in no way a legal person (hence I've come here seeking advice on my own matters)
The way I always understood things = once a gift is given, it's up to the recipient on what to do with it. Possibly the ring is something you could have kept, but at least you did the kind thing in giving that back.

If everyone here is right in that you're under no legal obligation to turn the mac over to him, seeing how electronics always depreciate, you could offer to sell it back him, then get a newer one. ;)

Antigone*

I'm in no way a legal person (hence I've come here seeking advice on my own matters)
The way I always understood things = once a gift is given, it's up to the recipient on what to do with it. Possibly the ring is something you could have kept, but at least you did the kind thing in giving that back.

If everyone here is right in that you're under no legal obligation to turn the mac over to him, seeing how electronics always depreciate, you could offer to sell it back him, then get a newer one. ;)
There is nothing "kind" about returning a conditional gift. :rolleyes:

Antigone*

Since it was given at Christmas, couldn't it be construed as a Christmas gift?

OP the Macbook belongs to you.
It is still an engagement ring. Had they gotten married and then divorced my answer would be different. Since the condition of marriage did not occur legally the ting should go back. I do agree that she should hang onto he'd Mac

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">