• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex bf got us evicted and fled, now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carhotty16

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My ex bf got us evicted, stole my lap-top and dvds, and gave my big screen tv to one of his friends and now he fled to England where he is a citizen. He was here on a student visa. He never paid half for rent and cost me my $300 deposit. Can I sue him?

BelizeBreeze

carhotty16 said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My ex bf got us evicted, stole my lap-top and dvds, and gave my big screen tv to one of his friends and now he fled to England where he is a citizen. He was here on a student visa. He never paid half for rent and cost me my $300 deposit. Can I sue him?
sure you can. And you can wait for 50 years to collect.

BelizeBreeze

carhotty16 said:
how would i even get him here?
ahhhh that's the rub, (William Shakespeare - 1564-1616)
You don't 'get him here'. You have to serve him in England where he will simply toss your notice in the trash. You will then proceed to get a default judgement and then you will fly to London, hire a solicitor to represent you and have the judgement entered whereby he will contest on the grounds of jurisdiction.

In about two or three years your case will be heard by a local magistrate where you MIGHT get the judgement entered and then you get to go back to court for recovery.

in the meantime you've wasted about 5 years of your life, approximately $50,000 and gotten (maybe) the cost of the stolen items back.

BelizeBreeze

carhotty16 said:
but if i win can't the court make him pay me back? i fly for free btw.
which court? In the U.S. he has to have assets in the country that you can touch. if he does not then and ENGLISH court must do as I outlined below.

give it up and learn from it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">