• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Boyfriend Blues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dkc1125

What is the name of your state? CA

To make this short and sweet, when I was 18 I got 2 credit cards with my ex-boyfriend totaling $12,000 once they were maxed out. This was back in 1999. I was the primary on both with him as secondary co-signer. All charges on both cards were soley his. 8 years later we broke up with a verbal agreement that he would pay the monthly payments on both cards. Needless to say, he only paid for a few months (3 months) and always 30 days late. When I got married a two years later, he stopped paying all together. That was 3 years ago.

I have been trying since 2002 to get copies of my credit card statements and the signed application from the credit cards companies. Both companies are telling me that those documents are too old and they don't have copies (I have letters to state this). I gave up and paid the remaining balance of $8000 in Jan 2005 from my inheritance money from my Grandfather's death.

He was a co-signer on both cards, do I have a case if I take him to court?

Even if the court ruled that we were both equally liable (since I have no proof that it was all his), I would still come out with something.

Happy Trails

dkc1125 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

To make this short and sweet, when I was 18 I got 2 credit cards with my ex-boyfriend totaling $12,000 once they were maxed out. This was back in 1999. I was the primary on both with him as secondary co-signer. All charges on both cards were soley his. 8 years later we broke up with a verbal agreement that he would pay the monthly payments on both cards. Needless to say, he only paid for a few months (3 months) and always 30 days late. When I got married a two years later, he stopped paying all together. That was 3 years ago.

I have been trying since 2002 to get copies of my credit card statements and the signed application from the credit cards companies. Both companies are telling me that those documents are too old and they don't have copies (I have letters to state this). I gave up and paid the remaining balance of $8000 in Jan 2005 from my inheritance money from my Grandfather's death.

He was a co-signer on both cards, do I have a case if I take him to court?

Even if the court ruled that we were both equally liable (since I have no proof that it was all his), I would still come out with something.
Statute of limitations for an oral agreement in California is two years. I believe you sat too long on this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">