• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex boyfriend refuses to pay back credit card debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cleggy

What is the name of your state? WV

Too make things short, I was asked to move in with my boyfriend. He has been building a new house and is living behind it in a trailer. He asked me charge 110 sheets of drywall, kitchen cabinets, and some chimney block for his new house, so we could move in sooner. He promised to pay it back when the statement came in. Im on disability and the only thing that is charged on credit card is his stuff. A few months went by and he was not even making the minimum payment and the extra charges and late fees started accumulating. Now he told me to leave and says he isnt paying it back. He has already hung all the drywall and chimney block and cabinets. I want the balance paid off or transfered to his account, or i want the property returned in the same condition (which is impossible). I have receipts for everything. Do I have the right to get this property back? Can I have him pay for it in court? Im on disability and can not afford to pay it back. Please let me know ASAP. Thanks

rmet4nzkx

What is the value of the items charged?
What is the Small Claims limit in WV?
Did you pay rent while you lived with him?
What is the value of rent etc that he will claim you owe him in his ocunter suit?
Do you have any agreements, witnesses or contracts?

cleggy

Small claims limit is 5000
The total charges are 4400.
Did not pay rent. He asked me to live with him and said i do not have to pay rent. I lived with him for 2 years and he never asked me to pay rent. He said just take care of him. (cook, clean, etc.) He knows i couldnt afford to pay him. He paid my insurance and my monthly life insurance for me a few months, but i took all the money i owed him for that and purchased a $700 air conditioner that made it even. He said i owe him for living there for 2 years. Do i have a chance? How can he get to keep the $4400 worth of stuff and me have to pay for it?

S

seniorjudge

cleggy said:
Small claims limit is 5000
The total charges are 4400.
Did not pay rent. He asked me to live with him and said i do not have to pay rent. I lived with him for 2 years and he never asked me to pay rent. He said just take care of him. (cook, clean, etc.) He knows i couldnt afford to pay him. He paid my insurance and my monthly life insurance for me a few months, but i took all the money i owed him for that and purchased a $700 air conditioner that made it even. He said i owe him for living there for 2 years. Do i have a chance? How can he get to keep the $4400 worth of stuff and me have to pay for it?
Just a warning that the judge may say you gave a very nice gift to him and that he gave a very nice gift to you and call it even.

These "common law divorce" cases are extremely common in SCC and judges hate them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">