• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex boyfriend sold car behind my back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lynetteb74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california
in 2007 I bought a car I paid with money orders a total of 14,000 i spent. My bf at the time was in a treatment house for 3 months instead of prison he was going to be driving the car and he told me that the vehicle needed to be registered to him or he couldnt park it there. So i was uneducated about the words "and" and "or" on the registration so he my bf explained to me that the right way would be "or". anyways a week after he came home he still had the car and sold it. I didnt find out until afterwards he had came to my house while I was at work to get his things and took the pinkslip all the paper work for the vehicle and the money order receipts. A couple of weeks after that he was back in prison. Now hes out and I found out he recently inheireted a large sum of money is there anything I can do to get my money back????

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can sue. If you go to small claims court, you'll be limited to $7,500.
If you take it to a higher court, any attorney's fees will probably eat up any additional amounts you might win.

Nothing illegal has occurred.

latigo

You voluntarily transferred possession of the car to the ex boyfriend; you re-titled it in such a fashion that would authorize him to legally sell it.

Under these circumstances - all the incidents of a gift manifested - I don’t think you have any sustainable cause of action against him.

But perhaps the small claims judge will see it differently. Besides you'd have nothing to lose in trying other than your time and the filing fees. And he might not even show.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">