• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Boyfriend wants reimbursement for dog's bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kimberlyb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My ex-boyfriend lived with me for two years before splitting up 4 months ago. I bought a dog while we were together (for "us") and we shared the bills for the dog's food, medical, etc. Suddenly he is asking for me to repay him for a bill from 6 months ago for $500 (to cover a surgery for the dog) or will take me to court. Is this a legitimate claim?
A few other data points:
a. He cheated on me and was the one who ended the relationship
b. We agreed I would get to take the dog since he was more my dog and I could take better care of him (not sure if he's plotting to try to take dog custody with this or not, or if that would also be a legitimate claim)
c. He lived with me rent free for 2 years - didn't pay any rent or utilities. So covering something like the dog's vet bill was chump change compared to everything I paid for.

I would love to tell him where to stick it and to take me to court if he dares...but I want to be sure he can't come after me for my dog or all of the vet bills he ever paid.

Proserpina

My ex-boyfriend lived with me for two years before splitting up 4 months ago. I bought a dog while we were together (for "us") and we shared the bills for the dog's food, medical, etc. Suddenly he is asking for me to repay him for a bill from 6 months ago for $500 (to cover a surgery for the dog) or will take me to court. Is this a legitimate claim?
A few other data points:
b. We agreed I would get to take the dog since he was more my dog and I could take better care of him (not sure if he's plotting to try to take dog custody with this or not, or if that would also be a legitimate claim)
c. He lived with me rent free for 2 years - didn't pay any rent or utilities. So covering something like the dog's vet bill was chump change compared to everything I paid for.

I would love to tell him where to stick it and to take me to court if he dares...but I want to be sure he can't come after me for my dog or all of the vet bills he ever paid.

a) doesn't matter
b) Okay
c) doesn't matter

He's free to try and sue you in small claims - but unless there was an agreement for you to repay him, or to share the bill, I don't rate his chances too highly.

Banned_Princess

no. not unless you said you would repay him. in some provable form like email or text.

A few other data points:
so what.

so, then you have the dog. its a possession not a kid, there is no "custody"

s o w h a t.

then do it. he can but he is unlikely to win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">