• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex destroyed my personal belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BOBKO

What is the name of your state? Connecticut. Just prior to my divorce being finalized, by court order. I was to be allowed to enter my home (where my ex wife was staying) to obtain my belongings. Upon arriving at my residence, my belongings were sitting in the driveway, and I was not allowed to enter my home. Once I removed them from the property and was able to look them over, many of my belongings were purposely broken by my ex wife. Can I bring her to Small Claims Court to collect for damages? (Up to $3,500)

hbreen

Can you prove with no shadow of a doubt that she intentionally broke the items before you picked them up?

BOBKO

No, I can't "prove" it, but on a few items one can see the footprint where she stepped on the item to break it. I left a $250 pair of sunglasses on the counter, and when I got them back, they were broken in half. It should be obvious that I wouldn't keep so many broken personal items, then request that I get them back. Our divorce has been in process for over a year, and in that time she has done everything she could to give me a hard
time.

MandyD

hbreen said:
Can you prove with no shadow of a doubt that she intentionally broke the items before you picked them up?
In small claims court, you don't have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt. You don't even have to prove beyond reasonable doubt, you just have to tip the scales ever so slightly in your direction.

I just have one question for Bobko. What did you do to make her soooo mad? lol. Really, go for it. You have nothing but a filing fee to lose. I also like stephenk's suggestion.

BOBKO

(Connecticut) She was raised by her mother as a premadona. Being the youngest of 4 children, her mother treated her like a little princess and never let her do anything. She didn't even know how to boil water, and that's no lie! When we were first married, I did all the cooking, cleaning of the house, yard work, and she spent all her time playing with our banking accounts on the computer. Everything was fine until our son was born. (Now 2 years old). I love my son very much and I guess I spent too much time with him. I believe she was jealous that my son was getting more attention than she was. By the way, since our son was born, she has NEVER given him a bath. She wouldn't even put cream on him because it would get under her nails. I did all of the chores for my son. One day, she took my son and left me. I had NO idea she was planning on leaving me. It was a complete surprise! Right after she left, I found out about it, and went to get my son back. I took my son from her parents home and was bringing him back home and she called the police and had me arrested. In her police report, she said I choked her on 3 occasions. I never touched her! (Oh yes, I found out she had been talking to her relative (a lawyer) for a few months before she left). Since this has happened, she has continually lied to everyone and has been held in Comtempt of Court several times, but has NEVER had anything happen to her. I fell bad that she's ruined my life and my son's life! And, it is a sad state of affairs where the female is now the innocent party, and the male is always guilty. This is only a very brief portion of what happened and the story goes on and on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">