• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-employer not paying back my money for insurance coverage not provided.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

praga

What is the name of your state? Texas
Not sure what category this belongs to, so posted in general area.

I was laid off by my (Ex) Employer on Aug 31 2004 and I switched to COBRA for my insurance. I have been paying insurance premium every month (a week before the actual month starts) for the coverage to continue.

In end of May (May 25 2005) my Ex-Employer called me and told me not to post the check for the month June as the insurance carrier has been dropped. I asked him since when he said it was from end of May. Mean time I received the letter from the insurance company (Principal Insurance) that they will not pay for the April doctor's visit as the Policy was terminated since April 14 2005. I called my Employer and my ex-employer confirmed the date of April14 is true and don't know why he might have said end of May 2005. I asked my ex employer for my money back (from April 15 - May 31 2005 = $1108.60). He is avoiding my calls or just making Excuses that he will take care of it. I also incurred a doctor's charge of $400 for vaccination for my 4-month-old son. I would have taken my son in the local community clinic and got him immunized for free if he had told me in advance. because of him my family is without an insurance (as the new insurance is taking time to kick in).

I'm sick and tired of it and want to send him some legal action notice as a warning and also wanted to know all the options that I can pursue to get my money back. If anyone can give me some advice or direction I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
PraGa

Last edited:

JETX

praga said:
also wanted to know all the options that I can pursue to get my money back. If anyone can give me some advice or direction I will greatly appreciate it.
Simple answer. You have no right to a refund of the insurance premiums.... however, you do have a right to expect payment from any claims you filed AFTER the insurance company cancelled the policy. In essence, your premiums went to the company... who provided 'self-funded' insurance. They took a huge risk in NOT providing outside insurance... but that is a risk they took.

Send them a demand letter for the medical bills you have incurred during their period of 'self-insurance'. If they don't pay, sue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">