• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-employer refusing to return personal property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Slade

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

A month or so ago I had to quit a job due to medical reasons. On my last day there, I had forgotten to take with me a piece of property that I purchased myself for the job.

I realized I had forgotten it about a day or so later, and promptly called the company telling them of this. First, I was told I wasn't allowed back on the property to retrieve my item, then they said they would mail it back to me. I waited 3 weeks for the supposed package to arrive at my home, and after those 3 weeks passed, I called yet again asking why it was taking so long to arrive. I was then informed that they do not mail property back and had never mailed property back ever. In essence, they lied to me. So they asked for my name and number and told me they would be contacting me in a few days. That never happened. Basically, I've been jerked around by them from the start while trying to get my personal property back.

Are they legally allowed to do this? Especially if I have proof that the item is mine and I purchased it myself?

justalayman

I would suggest a letter to the highest level of personnel you know of demanding the return of your property. Include your contact information and a request for contact within a certain amount of time to arrange the return of the property.

If they fail to contact you within that time, I would sue for the value of the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">