• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Father-Inlaw Taking Me To Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FatherHusband79

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My ex father-inlaw is taking me to small claims court for just under $2,000 worth of "unpaid child care payments" dating from my layoff in 2008 when I had no job to even pay for the child support (which I have since paid off by paying extra every week) and for the last year of babysitting money up until July 8th, 2011. He claims we made a verbal agreement, which I never had a conversation with him regarding babysitting A, all conversations were had with my ex-wife about her father babysitting A.

I need advice on how to prepare for my day in court and what evidence I should be taking with me. How long should my statement be to defend myself? Does the plaintiff have a chance at winning this case since there was no verbal agreement made to begin with?

The story is this: I made an agreement in 2006 with a babysitter my ex-wife and I agreed on to pay $40 every other week for a babysitter up until our son (A) went to full time school. When the babysitter decided to no longer babysit A, I was told I would start paying the plaintiff, A's grandfather, $60 every other week.

I was never offered for the plaintiff to babysit our son, I was told this is what would be happening. I was not given a chance to consider what ex-wife had told me, instead, I was told that this is how it is going to be. I had to accept it because I was not given any say in the matter. This was not an oral contract with either ex-wife or plaintiff. Once I realized I had no say in the matter, I told ex-wife I would help her pay the plaintiff, for babysitting A as long as I could do so financially, I also made it very clear I would only pay for A's babysitter until he started school full time (September 2011), at which time we could re-evaluate and discuss the child care needs and arrangements.

I was no longer responsible, per the original conversation with ex-wife, for babysitting payments to plaintiff as of September 2010 but I continued to pay plaintiff to help ex-wife out as much as I could, since I knew I was not able to always pay due to my financial situation during a job layoff in 2008.

In November 2010, I was being verbally harassed for babysitting money every other week by both ex-wife and plaintiff, which is when I spoke with ex-wife and offered to take A to school on days ex-wife had to work and pick him up from school and keep him at my house until she was off work. When I was told absolutely not on taking care of him on days she had to work, I also gave the option of using a YMCA Day Care, which would bus him to and from school on ex-wife days of work since I received free child care at the YMCA. When ex-wife told me no to using a state-licensed Child Care facility instead of a babysitter, I told her I would not be paying for a babysitter anymore since A was now in full time kindergarten and also offered several different options which we could have mutually agreed upon.

I was being verbally harassed anytime I came into contact with the plaintiff, including times when I picked up A and the plaintiff found it necessary to use inappropriate language and unnecessary behaviors towards me in front of my son. I continued to tell him I would no longer be paying for babysitter and already spoke to ex-wife about it, but the verbal harassment and the phone calls continued from the plaintiff. Due to the constant harassment, in a letter dated July 8, 2011, I stated to ex-wife I was not financially responsible for babysitter payment due to this being during her parenting time, not mine, according to our divorce decree.

I paid for the babysitter anytime I had the money to do so, as I told ex-wife I would do. When I was laid off in 2008, I was unable to pay for A’s babysitter, but instead offered to take care of A while she was working since I was not working at the time. I have given ex-wife other child care solutions to use to offset the cost and to help out since I no longer have a financial responsibility to the plaintiff for babysitting his grandson, my son, A.

It is apparent that parties involved in the original discussion did not relay the specifics of the conversation onto the plaintiff, since I am being asked for past due money from when I was no longer responsible for babysitting payments or I was not financially stable enough to assist with the babysitting payments.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LillianX

The fact that you paid until you lost your job is evidence enough that you agreed with the arrangement. You may have some defense though.

What do your court papers say regarding who pays for child care?

FatherHusband79

The court papers state that my ex-wife is 100% responsible for child care needs and expenses during her parenting time (she has residential custody, I have weekend and 1 day a week visitation). I pay for a babysitter if I need one during my weekend visits (which is next to never).

I did agree to the agreement because I had no other choice in the matter. I made it clear to my ex-wife that I was okay with paying for the babysitter as long as I had the financial means to do so and that I would pay for his babysitter up until he went to school full time. Any suggestion I gave to my ex-wife was shot down, so it was either pay for the babysitter every other week or she would make my life h.e.double hockey sticks (which she did anyway, even if I was paying for babysitter).

LillianX

If you don't have an order to pay for childcare, I think you're probably ok. You paid while you felt like it and gave notice that you weren't paying anymore in writing.

FatherHusband79

If you don't have an order to pay for childcare, I think you're probably ok. You paid while you felt like it and gave notice that you weren't paying anymore in writing.

We go to court in two weeks over this. My ex father-inlaw is asking for $1,810 plus 4% interest since July 8th, 2011 (coincidentally the same date I sent the letter to my ex-wife explaining why I was no longer paying for babysitter). My ex father-inlaw is claiming we made a verbal agreement. Should I state everything I wrote in the original post as part of my statement? What all should I bring as evidence? How am I going to prove to the judge what all was said in the original discussion regarding my ex father-in law being the babysitter?

Thanks.

LillianX

Bring your court order, which states that she is responsible for child care during her time, and any evidence you have regarding when you told him you weren't paying anymore.

FatherHusband79

I have the letter I wrote to her which was dated July 8, 2011. I do not have any evidence for the conversation I had with my ex-wife in November 2011 when I gave her other child care options which then resulting in me explaining to her that I am no longer paying because our son is in full time school and I am not responsible for the payments as stated in the divorce decree.

FatherHusband79

It would be interesting to subpoena his tax records, to see if he paid taxes on the income.
I had thought of doing this AND I had thought about filing a 10-99 for all the child care expenses or claiming them on my taxes but since I have not paid any child care expenses to him this year, I am a little too late on that.

I need all the suggestions I can get on how to win this case. I am rather confident that if I state my case in full truth and tell it how it is, I can win, but going into this I have no idea what my ex father-inlaw is going to say and how much he may possibly bend the truth.

LillianX

I had thought of doing this AND I had thought about filing a 10-99 for all the child care expenses or claiming them on my taxes but since I have not paid any child care expenses to him this year, I am a little too late on that.

I need all the suggestions I can get on how to win this case. I am rather confident that if I state my case in full truth and tell it how it is, I can win, but going into this I have no idea what my ex father-inlaw is going to say and how much he may possibly bend the truth.
You're not late on it. You can file an amended tax return for previous years.

FatherHusband79

You're not late on it. You can file an amended tax return for previous years.
I think at this point my ex father-in law is just about upset with me as he can get, since he felt the need to have to take this to small claims court. If I happen to lose the case and pay nearly $2,000 to him for what he is claiming I owe him, then I will do an amendment on my tax return as far back as I can to claim all those child care payments I did make.

FatherHusband79

Also, what are the chances of this said "verbal agreement" the plaintiff is claiming we made holding up in court? Is it even enforceable?

LillianX

I don't understand. In this thread, you state that you have a custody order with a visitation schedule of 1 day a week and some weekends. In this order, childcare expenses are laid out.

Then, over in the thread you just opened here: https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/wanting-file-custody-order-563458.html you say there is no custody order.

So in which thread are you lying, and why have you wasted my time here today? I spent some time researching your situation in order to help you out, and it's pretty rude of you to just arbitrarily make things up.

FatherHusband79

In the divorce decree is where it is stated about Child Support payments, childcare expenses and school fees. I pay CS and half of the school fees but no child care.

My other thread is to submit an order to the courts detailing out about pick up/drop off days/times, holidays, vacation time, etc., not about anything relating to costs. It was a verbal agreement between my ex-wife and I about the every other weekend and one day a week, she hasn't been allowing me my one day a week, which is why I want something in writing at the courts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">