• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Fiance's Ex-Wife Took EVERYTHING

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barbiplease

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Ex-Fiance's Ex-Wife Took Everything

I moved out of my ex-fiance's ("Chad's") apartment and moved back in with my parents in South Georgia, a four and 1/2 hour drive from Chad's apartment, in October 2003. Because Chad did not have any furniture of his own and several months to go before his lease was to expire at his apartment--as well as four children who had visitations with him on the weekends--I allowed him to borrow all of my furniture at no charge in return for keeping them safely secured and until all of the following conditions could be met: a) he no longer needed to borrow them; b) until my return for them and c) until my financial situation would permit me to return for them. This verbal agreement was later reaffirmed in writing. It was a housefull of very expensive, high end furniture less than four years old with an estimated current value of $7,850.

Chad subsequently left his apartment and moved into his ex-wife's ("Marie's") house and placed my property in storage in her garage beginning approximately March or April 2004. Marie permitted Chad to move into her residence for purposes of mutual convenience and mutual necessities. For Chad, his need for shelter and storage during his period of financial difficulty; for Marie, a need for Chad to better assist her with child support money and child care that granting him free shelter and storage might provide.

Marie subsequently kicked Chad out of her house without notice on August 1, 2004, and would not permit him back onto her premises to recover my personal property. She then placed a "For Sale" sign on my furniture in her garage and sold them, but kept my most expensive and cherished items--a $3500 solid oak 3-piece entertainment center and a $500 matching round coffee table--in her living room.

It was not until October 2004 that I learned from Chad that Marie had kicked him out without giving him the opportunity to retrieve my belongings, in spite of his best efforts to do so and even filing a police report. Chad then gave me her number and I immediately called her and very politefully tried to arrange for a date and time for me to pick up the remainder of my personal property. It would be important for me to make advance arrangements to recover my property because I lived five hours away from her residence. But when I tried to do so she replied to me nonchalantly that most of them were "gone" or "given away" (she later conceded to selling them in a garage sale). My most cherished items, however--the entertainment center and the coffee table--were still in her living room, but she informed me during this telephone conversation that she would not be permitting me onto her premises in order to collect these items.

I followed up with a letter letter dated Feb 1 sent via regular and certified mail informing her that I would arrive with movers and law enforcement on her premises on April 17, 2005, at 5 PM, in order to collect my belongings and to present her with a bill for any of my personal property that could not be accounted for, and that if she could not be present at the appointed time and date that she must contact me within 10 days of the date of this letter in order to reschedule this appointment. In response to this letter, Marie called me on Feb 3 and told me that she intends to move out of her residence on Feb 19 and would be leaving the remainder of my personal property on the curbside on that date.

I therefore followed up with another letter dated on the same day of this conversation, Feb 3, to inform her that on Feb 19, 2005, at 10 AM, I would arrive on her curbside with movers and law enforcement in order to collect these items, and that if her final decision on the matter should change that she still had until Feb 11 (the remainder of the 10-day period) to contact me in order to notify me of the change. In response to this letter, Marie called me on Feb 5 and spoke with my current fiance and told him that she intends to dispose the remainder of my property on the curbside that evening for the trash collectors to pick up the following Monday, and that she intends to countersue me for abandonment.

Needless to say, it would be impossible for me to make arrangements to rent a truck and hire movers on such a short notice (that evening, Feb 5), so I wrote her another letter on Feb 5 asking her if her most recent decision to dispose my property on the curbside that evening was final so that I could go ahead and file a lawsuit against her for monetary compensation for the loss of my property. In response to this letter, Marie called me on Feb 10 and told me that she would not be handing over my property unless I agreed to pay her the bill she would be sending me for storage fees of my personal property, and unless I could pay this bill as well as sign other forms she is sending me via certified mail that I am still awaiting. I replied to her that I would look over the paperwork, and that if I find it necessary to do so that I would fill them out and send them back to her. After thinking over her plans to withold my property until this "storage" bill was paid and until these other "forms" were signed and returned to her, I called her the next day--Feb 11--and left her a message, telling her that any disputes she may have or bill she may intend to send me will have to be taken up with the Small Claims court--but that I nevertheless will still need to pick up the remainder of my furniture.

She did not call me back, but I cannot continue to keep delaying filing civil suit because I feel that she is using these delay tactics in order to move without being held accountable for my loss. If this occurs, I will not be able to sue her nor get the remainder of my property back because I will not have the physical address of her new residence. In any event, she has ben given the 10-day period to resolve the issue and still has not resolved it. I have advised her in every letter that she has until Feb 11 to resolve the issue before I take legal action.

On Feb 12 I filed electronically with the Magistrate Court of the county of her current residence in order to sue her for monetary compensation for the full amount that is due, $7,850. Incidentally, I have receipts, photographs, and bank statements from professional movers showing my proof of ownership of the property in question. I also have the verbal agreement with her ex-husband, Chad, that has been reaffirmed in writing and signed by him. He told me that he intends to testify on my behalf during the trial(s) and or hearing(s), because as of this date she has still not allowed him to retrieve his own personal belongings in her residence--let alone mine.

So I guess my question is--considering the fact that the breach of contract was committed by Chad for the fact that he was not able to fulfill his obligations under the terms of this contract, can I still hold Marie liable for my loss? Without Chad as my witness, I really have no case at all. I also told him that if he could testify on my behalf that I would not hold him liable. After all, I do feel that he tried very diligently to recover my personal property (even filing a police report), but he was not able to do so because Marie had prevented him from doing so by not letting him onto her premises to collect my personal property. I'm also concerned that she is planning to sue me for "abandonment", and the fact that she will no longer be a resident of the county in which I am filing suit. Are there any other snags in my case that I should be aware of? I want to make sure that I have dotted my "I's" and crossed my "t's" so that I won't have any unpleasant surprises.

Thank you.

barbiplease

S

seniorjudge

Good news: You've won the prize for the longest post ever on this forum.

Bad news: No one will read it.

Cut this in half.
Ask three questions.

Furniture,with a retail value of approximately 8ooo bucks left in possesion of the OP's former fiance',with promise of safekeeping and eventual return.

OP's former fiance' moved in with his former wife,hauled the 8000 dollars worth of his former fiance's furnishings with him,to her home.

The guy got drop kicked out of the house,ex wife kept all of the ex fiance's (OP's) stuff. Sold the majority of it,only two pieces are left.

The ex wife is demanding storage fees.

Who,if anyone, is obligated to reimburse OP for her furniture?

Last edited:

barbiplease

Ex-Fiance's Ex-Wife

Thank you. I've never been very good at summarizing. Incidentally I am on disability and I live alone now with no furniture and am 3 months pregnant, and only have a computer on the floor and a broken down mattress on the floor to use as a bed.

Hopefully, JetX or Sr.Judge will respond. I am not sure of the correct answer.And do not want to give you misinformation. I wish you courage to deal with your current situation.Keep your chin up! :)

S

seniorjudge

Q: Who,if anyone, is obligated to reimburse OP for her furniture?
A: Ex-boyfriend.

barbiplease

seniorjudge said:
Q: Who,if anyone, is obligated to reimburse OP for her furniture?
A: Ex-boyfriend.
OK, I can see how from a strictly *technical* aspect, my contract was with the ex-bf and not the ex-bf's ex-wife and that it was he--not she--who had committed the breach of contract.

But given the context of the situation--she consented to his placing my furniture in storage in her garage but then subsequently ordered him to move out suddenly without even allowing him to retrieve my furniture--even though he tried to do so and even though he had filed a police report--wouldn't the judge see that in this case, by willfully preventing him to retrieve my belongings, she was withholding and converting property not belonging to her and should thus be held accountable for my loss?

She's got a rich bf now (another reason for kicking the ex-husband out and not permitting him back onto her property...), and the ex-bf is currently unemployed and bankrupt. I know that if I go after the ex-bf I'll get zilch even if I were to win my case. Still, if only out of principle I think that she should be held accountable. As cruel as she is I wouldn't put it past her to kick him out, sell my stuff then make him be held accountable. It's just how she is.

S

seniorjudge

Sue everyone in small claims court and let the judge sort it out.

barbiplease

OK, she's just sent me a certified letter with a Storage/Repair Bill of $11,700...."Realtor assessed loss due to paint, carpet damage, cabinet damage $10,000/actual repairs estimated at $5,000 if you and Chad had completed prior.'

Storage fee for 10 months at 150.00=$1,500
Garbage disposal fee of ruined infested furniture and boxes $200.00

Total due: $11,700.00

She's referring to the time when Chad picked me up and brought me to his home for a couple of weeks while she was on vacation in Las Vegas. I was his house guest. I helped him paint walls in order to surprise Marie (as a pleasant surprise). There was no damage to my knowledge except that the cabinet door was off. I found the change to be a remarkable improvement over the dirty, white, finger-printed walls.

I did not discover that my furniture was in storage until after the fact (that Chad had placed them there, without my consent). How am I responsible for storage fees?

I left telephone msg with Chad. I need to question him about her claim that she gave him many warnings to pick up my furniture since July--since his claim to me is that she kicked him out on Aug 1 and wouldn't let him return for my things. If this is the case, then perhaps the most that I can sue for is
for the furniture still in her possession, but not for the ones already sold. Or can I even sue for anything at this point? The only thing I had ever hoped to get out of this lawsuit was either the return of the remaining furniture or the $4,000 monetary compensation for their loss so that I may buy essential items for my home (such as a bed, table, chairs, and everything else). I also need to question Chad on his remark that she is planning to buy a gun. Sounds like a threat to me.

Last edited:
CHAD should receive the bill for the storage.He hauled it in there!With her blessing.

CHAD should pay for all repairs to Marie's home.He threw the painting party as her invited housemate.

CHAD should pay for all of your furniture. He had an agreement with you. Marie did not.

It is unlikely that Chad will have the dough for all of the bills he may be
responsible for.

You could file a claim against him.Receive a judgment and eventually collect.
but it sounds like you might have to wait for quite a while,to see any spending money.

This is just my opinion. After your original post,I didn't think there could possibly be MORE DETAILS ;) That painting party was a doozy!

This is my opinion. I am sure a SR.member will correct me if I am not accurate.

S

seniorjudge

"... I helped him paint walls in order to surprise Marie..."

Is that what they're calling it these days?

anteater

seniorjudge said:
"... I helped him paint walls in order to surprise Marie..."

Is that what they're calling it these days?
You know, those edible paints are real tasty.

Let's play Dr. Phil here:

Dear Barbie: Ol' Chad was the one that "borrowed" your furniture. Ol' Chad was the one that you had the agreement with. Why are you insisting on picking fights with Marie? Is there still some lingering hope that "ex-fiance" status will change back to "current fiance" status?

Sue Chad's behind for your furniture. Let him worry about Marie.

barbiplease

anteater said:
Ol' Chad was the one that "borrowed" your furniture. Ol' Chad was the one that you had the agreement with. Why are you insisting on picking fights with Marie? Is there still some lingering hope that "ex-fiance" status will change back to "current fiance" status?
"Lingering hope"? PULLEEZE. I am happily and furniturelessly in love with someone new. Chad is not the father of my baby. I only arranged my case this way because I thought that I had to in order to win my case and because I did not know about the other circumstances of the case.

I wrote Chad a letter on Feb 1 telling him that I would grant him immunity from criminal prosecution if he would write in a statement the events leading to the loss of my property and how his breach of contract occurred. He would also have to agree to be subpoenaed as a witness. I am still awaiting these statements which should arrive any day now. When I get them I will take both statements to the judge (the one from Marie and the one from Chad), and let the judge decide who pays what.

In light of all the new information and responses I have decided to sue both of them instead and let the judge decide. But I've already filed my case on Feb 12. Is there any way for me to add an additional defendant to a case without re-filing? I wanna make sure that Marie gets served with the Summons also before she moves on Feb 19. After all, she still has $4000 worth of my furniture in her possession.

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

I have decided to sue both of them instead and let the judge decide. But I've already filed my case on Feb 12. Is there any way for me to add an additional defendant to a case without re-filing?

Probably is; small claims statutes vary so check with your state bar to see if they have a small claims pamphlet you can read.

A word of caution: Chad is the only one you had a contract with so don't be surprised when the other defendant(s) get thrown out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">