• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex filed for bankruptcy, now I'm being sued...please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lh97330

What is the name of your state? Oregon

Just when I filed for divorce, my ex filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy, which was finalized before the divorce could be. Since we owned no property, we didn't divide property or debt in the divorce proceedings. She inlcuded two joint accounts of ours in her bk, which were discharged. The first is for an auto that she took possession of when I had a restraining order filed against her for domestic violence (preceeding the divorce). She took the vehicle out of town, wouldn't tell me where it was, stopped making payments, and it was eventually repossessed. The second is a loan that I co-signed for her to pay for her school costs. Being ignorant of the law, I was under the impression that these debts were taken care of in her bankruptcy, but I am now being sued in small claims courts for the balance of these debts (about $4600). I intend to attempt to resolve this in mediation, but don't know what to expect in terms of an outcome. Is it likely that due to the circumstances surrounding these debts I will be able to negotiate a settlement offer and reasonable monthly payments? What typically happens in these sorts of cases? Will I be required to pay the full amount? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!What is the name of your state?

JETX

Is it likely that due to the circumstances surrounding these debts I will be able to negotiate a settlement offer and reasonable monthly payments?
No one can guess whether you will be able to negotiate a settlement or not. Entirely up to you and your creditors.

What typically happens in these sorts of cases?
'Typically'.... the creditor sues you and gets a judgment.

Will I be required to pay the full amount?
Unless they agree to less, yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">