• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex GF drama

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nando03

What is the name of your state? Texas

About two years ago, I started dating a girl that I knew for approximately one year. After a few months of dating, I moved into her apartment. We started talking about marriage. Before we started dating, she was accepted to a university out of the area, but said after one semester that she would transfer back to a university closer and move back into the apt. While she was gone, we were to take on a roomate to assist with the rent. The idea was that when she returned from the campus she was at, we would third the rent out between all of us. About two months after moving in, the roomate left and I was in an apt where I continued to pay the rent without help from either. I was not on the lease for this apt.

While she was gone, I ran into car trouble and she agreed to help by loaning me $2000. Before the end of the semester, she decided to stay where she was and shortly thereafter, we broke up. At this point, I had no furniture and nowhere to go, so I continued to pay for the rent in a apt that I could not afford. At the end of her lease, she came to pick up her belongings. Since things weren't so great, we didn't get along so well. At one point she said, "If you leave now, don't worry about paying me back the money that you owe." OF course, I left.

Now I find through the grapevine that she intends to sue for the money via small claims. There were nothing written down at the time of the loan, but we did discuss payments in later emails.

I am curious to know if I can successfully counter sue for the rent. After she decided not to come back, there was 8 months of rent that I paid without hopes of her returning. At $759/mo that comes out to $6072 plus utilities. Her third would have been $2024. I can produce bank statements which would show she made no deposits and the check were in my name.

Is there anything I can do? I feel like I already took a hit by paying for an apt that was way out of my price range.

seniorjudge

Nando03 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

About two years ago, I started dating a girl that I knew for approximately one year. After a few months of dating, I moved into her apartment. We started talking about marriage. Before we started dating, she was accepted to a university out of the area, but said after one semester that she would transfer back to a university closer and move back into the apt. While she was gone, we were to take on a roomate to assist with the rent. The idea was that when she returned from the campus she was at, we would third the rent out between all of us. About two months after moving in, the roomate left and I was in an apt where I continued to pay the rent without help from either. I was not on the lease for this apt.

While she was gone, I ran into car trouble and she agreed to help by loaning me $2000. Before the end of the semester, she decided to stay where she was and shortly thereafter, we broke up. At this point, I had no furniture and nowhere to go, so I continued to pay for the rent in a apt that I could not afford. At the end of her lease, she came to pick up her belongings. Since things weren't so great, we didn't get along so well. At one point she said, "If you leave now, don't worry about paying me back the money that you owe." OF course, I left.

Now I find through the grapevine that she intends to sue for the money via small claims. There were nothing written down at the time of the loan, but we did discuss payments in later emails.

I am curious to know if I can successfully counter sue for the rent. After she decided not to come back, there was 8 months of rent that I paid without hopes of her returning. At $759/mo that comes out to $6072 plus utilities. Her third would have been $2024. I can produce bank statements which would show she made no deposits and the check were in my name.

Is there anything I can do? I feel like I already took a hit by paying for an apt that was way out of my price range.

You can certainly counterclaim but you will have a difficult time convincing a judge that you (living there by yourself) were coerced into paying the rent or that your girlfriend should pay for you.

Nando03

Thanks

Thanks for your response. I thought about that.

What should be my course of action? Should I just pay her and walk away or do I have any defense against her?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">