• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex gf emtitled to anything??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThisIsCrap

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

If people purchased gifts for the house in which I own (on paper) is the ex-gf that left with no intention of coming back until I finally broke it off, entitled to any of the gifts that others purchased. Items such as, Dining room, BBQ grill, decor...

We only lived together from Jan-June of that same year. She left in June for "work" and never came back. I finally broke it off in October after all the lies of her coming back. Her parents are the ones that bought the gifts. There was never a card stating "To her and I". They just purchased them for the house.

Sorry for multiple posts in one day!

VeronicaLodge

what do you mean you own on paper? its not like you tv's and couches are "titled". if her parents bought them, you should give them to her or back to her parents.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why would you WANT the gifts from your ex's parents?

In any case, if you were living together, the best you can hope for is that you are 1/2 owner of the items. In that case, you could be forced to compensate the ex for 1/2 the value.
Furthermore, if push comes to shove, I'm willing to bet that the ex AND the ex's parents will testify that the items were gifts to the ex ONLY.

ThisIsCrap

By paper I mean. I own the house and everything is under my name. The gifts were purchased for the house. I dont want to keep them but just dont know the legal aspects behind it all.

ThisIsCrap

what do you mean you own on paper? its not like you tv's and couches are "titled". if her parents bought them, you should give them to her or back to her parents.
So the fact that she left and said she was coming back and also stopped helping pay for mortgage as we had an agreement on (verbal). This means she is entitled to any gifts bought by others too? Like friends, etc...

The way I see it is. Family, Friends, etc... bought gifts for the house in which I own. She abandoned me and this house. How is she entitled to anything if they were gifts for the house? Even if her parents did purchase them, they only purchased them becuase of the house. Also, what if things were purchased in cash with no record. If they are in my posession does that not make them mine? I'm just trying to figure what is legally mine and what isn't?

swrdmbo

Are you serious??? NOBODY buys gifts for a house!! How did the house open them? Did the house send a thank-you note?

Do you even get how ridiculous that sounds. Her parent's did not buy the gifts for the house.They bought a dining room suite because they thought their daughter was going to live there.

I think legally,at the very least, she has a claim to at least half of the gifts her parent's bought and maybe more.

The morally right thing to do is offer to return the gifts to the parents. They may surprise you and say no.

I find interesting that the house ( and no doubt the mortgage) are in your name and yet your girlfriend was making half the payments...real nice deal for you...what was she getting out of it exactly.

I know you are pissed that you lost this cozy set-up you had going but I think you need to quit rationalizing your desire to "keep everything" by saying people bought gifts " for the house" That is absurd ( and painfully transparent).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">