• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex GF took car...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BobSmith2000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan.

My Ex GF and I bought a 2003 certified used Toyota Camry and the title has both of our names on it. Since we broke up, I've not had a valid address for her though I do have the address she has the car registered under currently.

What do I need to do to take her to court and what can I sue her over? Unfortunately, she got my savings and the car as it was the only vehicle we had together so she put all of our money combined into her account (6 year relationship, stupid mistake).

I've never taken anyone to small claims court, but my understanding is that I have to pay someone to serve her, but that requires an address. Whether I can sue her for the car or for half it's value, I'm unsure.

I have another issue, as well. I paid for a pair of speakers online from a man in Colorado ($6,000 purchase) and he was supposed to refund me after he failed to provide product. Years later, he's not paid me a dime. I'm not sure if this is worth hiring a lawyer for (don't really have the money) or can this also be handled in small claims court? How would one sue someone in another state for such a matter?

Thanks for any advice you can throw my way!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">