• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Girlfriend owes me £1200. What do i do next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

s10gsy

Hi All

I broke up with my GF on July 9 2012, she asked me to loan her £950 for a medical expense and then another £250 for two pairs of shoes. I loaned her the money two weeks before she ended the relationship.

She has emailed, text, whatsappd and facebooked me messages saying she will pay back the £1200.00. So i have sufficient proof that she owes me it. The £950 was paid to her in cash and the £250 was taken directly out of my bank

All the messages were sent to me before mid august it is now over a month later and she is no longer returning calls, texts or emails and i still haven't received any of the money.

What steps should i take next?

also if the court says she must pay the money.... How will she be made to pay it back? if she cant afford it i have heard in the past some people pay back like a pound a week?

thanks

J

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hi All

I broke up with my GF on July 9 2012, she asked me to loan her £950 for a medical expense and then another £250 for two pairs of shoes. I loaned her the money two weeks before she ended the relationship.

She has emailed, text, whatsappd and facebooked me messages saying she will pay back the £1200.00. So i have sufficient proof that she owes me it. The £950 was paid to her in cash and the £250 was taken directly out of my bank

All the messages were sent to me before mid august it is now over a month later and she is no longer returning calls, texts or emails and i still haven't received any of the money.

also if the court says she must pay the money.... How will she be made to pay it back? if she cant afford it i have heard in the past some people pay back like a pound a week?

thanks

J
The US and England fought a war way back when so that we no longer are the same country. This is about US Law. One of the reasons the first question is WHAT IS YOUR STATE? England is not a state in the US.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi All

thanks

J
What is a £ :confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
US law and UK law are not the same. We're not just being obstructionist - we have no experts in UK law here and there can be significant differences from one country to the other.

s10gsy

thanks guys

Thanks guys!

Have just posted it on a UK site. The UK law sucks, even if i win in court she still might not pay and not alot can be done!!

disgrace never trust anyone with money!

justalayman

I dont even have a pound symbol on my keyboard.
yes you do. Well, it's kind of in your computer but you can access it via your keyboard

alt code 0163

£

and more technically, it is a British pound sterling. Apparently at one time a 1 £ note would buy you one pound (troy I presume as compared to avoirdupois) of sterling silver.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">