• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-girlfriend threatening to sue over cellphone.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Atthegates

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
Ok here is the situation. My ex-girlfriend is threatening to sue me because I'm going to shut off her cellphone which is currently under my plan, of which she has nothing to do. She is claiming because we had an oral agreement that she could stay on till she could get her own plan but this was back in July we agree apon this. We do live in seperate states I live in Michigan and she lives in Ohio. Now what she is threatening to sue me with is breech of contract. So I have 2 questions here. One is since I live in Michigan and I would be the Defendant wouldn't she have to come to my Jurisdiction to sue me. I will also state that I have not ever worked or lived in Ohio so I have no ties to there. And the other question is does she even have any chance of this actually working. I would find it very hard for a judge to force me to turn back on a cell phone that is in my name. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

tranquility

Even if there was a contract for you to keep on the phone until:
she could get her own plan
what would her benefit of the bargain damages be if you turned it off? She would have to get her own plan to mitigate her losses. And, since you can get a phone or a plan at any Walmart, unless she is completely incapacitated (Or, incarcerated.) I'm uncertain why she would not have a plan in an hour.

mmmagique

Are you the mother who was asking for her son? If not, this is really odd, because it's the exact. same. situation.

Life can be odd though...

Atthegates

No I would be the son. I'm sorry I didn't know she already posted anything. Sorry about that guys. Thanks for the answers though.

Silverplum

No I would be the son. I'm sorry I didn't know she already posted anything. Sorry about that guys. Thanks for the answers though.
Out of curiosity, because daily we tell mothers to stop posting their adult childrens' problems on the 'net -- how do you feel about your mom doing that?

I'm seriously curious: are you irritated? LOLing at her? Thinking she's sweet and caring? Mad that she won't let go?

:confused::)

mmmagique

So weird because, your MOM asked the exact same questions, in a very similar forum. Just yesterday!!!

I just find it kind of...interesting...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">