• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex has my stuff and towed my car!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wukie2001

What is the name of your state? CA

My former girlfriend has some of my items still at her home. I have requested that she A) set up a time so I can get them from her home and B) send them to me and I'll reimburse her for shipping/packing. Alas, she has ignored me when I came to her house to collect my things, and BTW she AGREED to the time/day I went there!
I have also written her 3 times asking her to send my stuff to me. She has either responded by asking for things she claims as hers, like pillows, pictures I threw away (which were given to me by her), VHS tapes, little things she bought me and gave as gifts, OR completely ignoring me and the letters I send.
FYI, the things I'm asking for are my old high school letterman jacket (we didn't go to the same hs, so there's no confusion to who's jacket it is!), fishing poles, a black leather jacket I bought (and can only fit me, so again... where's the confusion to who's it is), and my old USMC uniforms (obviously they are mine, they are male uniforms and she was never in the Marine Corps!!).
She said she paid for the uniforms, and wrote me that they costed $400. It's true, and I have a check that I wrote to her in the amount of $400 for those uniforms. She claims they are hers because she paid for them.
Other than that, I had a truck(which didn't run... no tires and bad engine) that was parked in front of her home. She let me park it there and when I was still dating her, I would work on it. After we split up, she said I could keep it there until I found a place to store it. In December of 2002, I found out she had a tow company tow my truck, without telling me to remove it or even telling me WHEN she towed it, and REFUSES to give me the tow company information so I can get it. It's been a long time, and I can just imagine the storage fees that have piled up... or if it has possibly been auctioned off.
I am beyond pissed off, but realize I must take some legal action to get my stuff and/or get money for my stuff.
My questions are:
1. Can I sue her and make her give me the tow company information?
2. If I get the tow company info, can I then sue her for costs to get my truck back?
3. If my truck has been auctioned off, destroyed, or otherwise unaccessable for any reason, can I sue her for the cost of the truck and any other reasonable costs? And if so, what kind of reasonable costs??
4. In the event she has destroyed, damaged, thrown away my items, can I sue her for the amount I paid for them? Or will it be an estimated current value?
5. If she has destroyed, damaged, thrown away my items, will she suffer any repercussions for admiting she did so??
6. If she has my stuff, but doesn't want to give it back or LIES (which she is known to do) about not having them... what can I do? Will I just get money?
7. With items that have sentimental value (HS letterman jacket), can I sue her for more money?

I mean, I don't want money, I really want my things back. Especially my HS letterman jacket... that can't be replaced.

Sorry about this being so lengthy, but I have a lot of questions, and anyone who wants to give advice will probably want to know some background. :D

HomeGuru

wukie2001 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

My former girlfriend has some of my items still at her home. I have requested that she A) set up a time so I can get them from her home and B) send them to me and I'll reimburse her for shipping/packing. Alas, she has ignored me when I came to her house to collect my things, and BTW she AGREED to the time/day I went there!
I have also written her 3 times asking her to send my stuff to me. She has either responded by asking for things she claims as hers, like pillows, pictures I threw away (which were given to me by her), VHS tapes, little things she bought me and gave as gifts, OR completely ignoring me and the letters I send.
FYI, the things I'm asking for are my old high school letterman jacket (we didn't go to the same hs, so there's no confusion to who's jacket it is!), fishing poles, a black leather jacket I bought (and can only fit me, so again... where's the confusion to who's it is), and my old USMC uniforms (obviously they are mine, they are male uniforms and she was never in the Marine Corps!!).
She said she paid for the uniforms, and wrote me that they costed $400. It's true, and I have a check that I wrote to her in the amount of $400 for those uniforms. She claims they are hers because she paid for them.
Other than that, I had a truck(which didn't run... no tires and bad engine) that was parked in front of her home. She let me park it there and when I was still dating her, I would work on it. After we split up, she said I could keep it there until I found a place to store it. In December of 2002, I found out she had a tow company tow my truck, without telling me to remove it or even telling me WHEN she towed it, and REFUSES to give me the tow company information so I can get it. It's been a long time, and I can just imagine the storage fees that have piled up... or if it has possibly been auctioned off.
I am beyond pissed off, but realize I must take some legal action to get my stuff and/or get money for my stuff.
My questions are:
1. Can I sue her and make her give me the tow company information?
2. If I get the tow company info, can I then sue her for costs to get my truck back?
3. If my truck has been auctioned off, destroyed, or otherwise unaccessable for any reason, can I sue her for the cost of the truck and any other reasonable costs? And if so, what kind of reasonable costs??
4. In the event she has destroyed, damaged, thrown away my items, can I sue her for the amount I paid for them? Or will it be an estimated current value?
5. If she has destroyed, damaged, thrown away my items, will she suffer any repercussions for admiting she did so??
6. If she has my stuff, but doesn't want to give it back or LIES (which she is known to do) about not having them... what can I do? Will I just get money?
7. With items that have sentimental value (HS letterman jacket), can I sue her for more money?

I mean, I don't want money, I really want my things back. Especially my HS letterman jacket... that can't be replaced.

Sorry about this being so lengthy, but I have a lot of questions, and anyone who wants to give advice will probably want to know some background. :D
**A: sue in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">