• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-live-in boyfriend who cheated, wants gifts back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaugust3

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

I discovered my live-in boyfriend (we had dated for 3 years, he lived with me for the past 1 year) was having an affair, so we agreed he would move out. At one time, there was even discussion of marriage. Now he wants those "gifts" that I bought with "us" in mind. These were items like a barbeque pit, painting, boat fenders, DVD recorder, & scooter. He took with him personal gifts I had given him, like shirts, cologne, shoes, etc., and he also took with him items that he purchased for "us" like a television, printer, and landscape lights. I don't feel he should have those things that I purchased as gifts with "us" in mind. He vehemently disagrees, and has now sued me in small claims court, for either the items, or their monetary value. I have receipts for all these things. Will I have to let him have them?

rmet4nzkx

jaugust3 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

I discovered my live-in boyfriend (we had dated for 3 years, he lived with me for the past 1 year) was having an affair, so we agreed he would move out. At one time, there was even discussion of marriage. Now he wants those "gifts" that I bought with "us" in mind. These were items like a barbeque pit, painting, boat fenders, DVD recorder, & scooter. He took with him personal gifts I had given him, like shirts, cologne, shoes, etc., and he also took with him items that he purchased for "us" like a television, printer, and landscape lights. I don't feel he should have those things that I purchased as gifts with "us" in mind. He vehemently disagrees, and has now sued me in small claims court, for either the items, or their monetary value. I have receipts for all these things. Will I have to let him have them?
Did you co mingle funds?
Did you have a rental agreement or any contract?
Are the receipts in your name?
What are they for?
Which items do you want?
Value?

Obviously gifts were gifts, there might be some fight over personal items you bought for him if they were bought with the common food and sundries.
Why would you want a pair of his shoes unless he was forcing you to buy him expensive shoes or some compulsive beavior.

jaugust3

No. We did not co-mingle funds.
We had no rental agreement or contract. I paid the mortgage, the utilities, and for virtually all the groceries.
All the receipts are in my name.
The items that I paid for and have the receipts for are the painting ($400), boat fenders ($350), scooter ($200), barbeque pit ($200), DVD recorder ($500). They were gifts, yes, but meant for "us, as a couple". He took with him the plasma tv ($3000), landscape lights ($80) & printer ($400). The plasma tv receipt is also in my name. The lights and printer receipts are in his name.
I don't want any personal items like shoes or shirts, just the household things purchased with my dollars. He wants to claim that they were presents bought exclusively for him. I say they were presents bought for both of us to enjoy.

rmet4nzkx

Let him have his landscape lights and printer, report the Plasma TV for which you have a receipt in your name stolen, that will yank his chain with grand theft.

naesatt

Follow rmet4nzkx & BelizeBreeze advice, DO IT, PLEASE!!! Don't let the "male child without father" get away with this crap! Keep all of your original receipts in a safety deposit box, make copies for your use until you actually need them in your hand, like for court. If you loose them, it will be your word + any bank or charge card statements against his. Good luck.
I think I am going to start a club....or was that start carrying a club.....oh, now I forgot!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">