• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex and loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moneymatters

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My EX gifted/lent me some cash without a promissory note. We were together at the time, and the impression was that it wasn't a loan at all so no paperwork was done. As soon as we broke it off, the gift changed into a loan and I got calls non stop. Same old story people been through before. I paid part of the amount back that I could and got a receipt notarized saying it was good enough payment and the loan was done being paid. My EX acted understanding at that time since it had been a gift and I didn't have all the funds. I was grateful for that money, so I didn't want to refuse payment or if it was a gift/loan in the first place.

7 months later and now my EX changed the story and says yeah, I paid back that loan but now there's this OTHER loan and I'll be taken to small claims if I don't pay since we verbally agreed to have it paid back. Thing is, there is no other loan! NONE! So what the hell?! My EX is trying to collect on something that don't exist and even tried telling me that the amount I was orignally loaned was way more than we calculated out so I would still even owe on it.

I'm really freaking confused and don't know how to handle it. How the hell do I defend? I got nothin for something that is nothing.

latigo

If she does take you to small claims court, it would be well that before explaining your position to the judge that you work on improving your communication skills.

Unfortunately your effort here comes off as little more than incoherent garble - not to mention some glaring contradictions.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If she does take you to small claims court, it would be well that before explaining your position to the judge that you work on improving your communication skills.

Unfortunately your effort here comes off as little more than incoherent garble - not to mention some glaring contradictions.
No contradictions...

OP was loaned money. Made payments and received a notarized statement saying the loan was paid off.

Now, the ex is threatening to sue for a different loan that the OP claims never occurred.

Ex is also threatening to sue for amounts on the original loan that the OP acknowledges, but OP is fine there, assuming the document actually does state that the original loan is fully satisfied.

latigo

=Zigner;2542747]No contradictions...?.
First paragraph:

“My EX gifted/lent me some cash / the gift changed into a loan / I paid part of the amount back / the loan was done being paid / it had been a gift / it was a gift or loan in the first place / I paid back that loan”

Second paragraph:

“Now there is this OTHER loan / we verbally agreed to have it paid back / there is no other loan.”

So each statement in the OP’s narrative is perfectly compatible and consistent with every other statement - no glaring contradictions - is that what you are telling me, Z? If so, I ain’t buying it.

It also seems worthy to note that in describing the second episode NO WHERE does he DENY that he didn’t receive the additionaly money she is now claiming!

All he does is protest that there was NO OTHER LOAN! Which is just as much an equivocation as his: “My EX gifted/lent me some cash”.

He obviously leached off of the poor girl and I hope she collects every dime she handed him!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Let me parse it for you...

My EX gifted/lent me some cash without a promissory note. We were together at the time, and the impression was that it wasn't a loan at all so no paperwork was done. As soon as we broke it off, the gift changed into a loan and I got calls non stop. Same old story people been through before. I paid part of the amount back that I could and got a receipt notarized saying it was good enough payment and the loan was done being paid. My EX acted understanding at that time since it had been a gift and I didn't have all the funds. I was grateful for that money, so I didn't want to refuse payment or if it was a gift/loan in the first place.
First (only) gift/loan. OP and the ex worked out a payment schedule and the debt was satisfied, as evidenced by the notarized document.

7 months later and now my EX changed the story and says yeah, I paid back that loan but now there's this OTHER loan and I'll be taken to small claims if I don't pay since we verbally agreed to have it paid back.
OP is saying that now the ex is claiming there is another loan.
Thing is, there is no other loan! NONE! So what the hell?! My EX is trying to collect on something that don't exist
OP disputes whether there is a 2nd "loan"
... and even tried telling me that the amount I was orignally loaned was way more than we calculated out so I would still even owe on it.
Ex is trying to collect more money from the first (only) gift/loan, even though she already signed a document saying the first (only) gift/loan was fully satisfied by the OP.

Get it now?

moneymatters

My bad guys. I used gift/loan since it WAS initially a gift, but then changed into a loan because my EX wanted a payment.

In short as possible then...

EX gifted me cash.
We broke it off.
EX wanted a payment for the gift, thus making it a loan then.
I paid and the loan was settled on paper.
EX wants more money and is making up a separate loan; it never existed.
I never accepted any more money from her and we were not together anymore.
I don't know what to do.

End.

Sorry for being unclear guys.

And about the leech comment, that gal is not a princess and my supporter. I supported her entirely myself for four straight years. she birthed a kid that wasn't even my own and I only found out recently. Hence why we broke it the hell off. she is also coming after me harassing me for child support. How the hell that works I don't know. She also stole my sisters high school ring and pawned that off because she said the baby needed something I wouldn't buy. Yeah, that money went straight to the booze. The money I was given by her to help pay traffic tickets and you'd think if you've been taking care of someone, a few hundred wouldn't be a big thing. All her own money she used on herself and buying clothes, getting nails done, etc. My bad for expecting anything like that. She come after me now because the baby's father just dumped her BUT then was when she had another guy and thought her life was set.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">