• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Not Paying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pa16731

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?PA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

First a little background information. My ex and I signed a Divorce Settlement in October 2010. The judge signed off on it and it is now an order of the court. In the agreement we agreed to split the marital debt. A $4900 loan, a $1900 loan, utility bill(that she ran up and didn't pay for after I left), and medical bills for the children. All of this stuff is in my name.

She has not paid a cent. I however have paid off the $1900 loan and have refinanced my loan to pay off the $4900 loan. i am working on the rest.

Can I sue her for the sum she hasn't paid? I also thought of askimg her to let me claim the kids one year and that would make up for it. I doubt she will though. What is my best course of action?

pa16731

I did think of that. I am trying to do this in a way that causes the least trouble, as I do have two sons with her. Really all the judge will tell her is to pay up correct and maybe impose a fine or somthing along that lines. If I sue can't I garnish her wages and such?
I am trying to keep the use of my lawyer out of it as I really don't have the funds at this time with paying on everything and getting my life back in order.
If I do decide to file contempt or sue, should I speak with her first and say if you dont start paying im going to do such and such. Or, should I just do it?

I did think of that. I am trying to do this in a way that causes the least trouble, as I do have two sons with her. Really all the judge will tell her is to pay up correct and maybe impose a fine or somthing along that lines. If I sue can't I garnish her wages and such?
I am trying to keep the use of my lawyer out of it as I really don't have the funds at this time with paying on everything and getting my life back in order.
If I do decide to file contempt or sue, should I speak with her first and say if you dont start paying im going to do such and such. Or, should I just do it?
No in Pennsylvania you cannot garnish her wages if you sue her. Your best option to recovery is to go back to court for contempt as the judge has the option to jail her if she doesn't comply and pay you what she owes.

She has no problem causing you trouble so what are you worried about? Honestly that is very kind of you to think like that, but make the woman pay what she owes.

You should be able to handle the OSC motion yourself. Just search around for self-help divorce in your county and you'll find some resources to help you enforce the divorce decree without the need for an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">