• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex owes money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dhcpnt_4

please help me!!!!

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

Hi,
I'm living in London, UK now; but was in CT for 2 odd years, from December 2000 to January 2003. While there, I'd lent my girlfriend at the time (who lives in New Hampshire), $800. Before I left the US, she gave me two checks (for $400 a piece), and asked me to wait till she had enough money in her account to cash them.
We've broken up now (obviously!!) and she has completely backed out of the agreement. She refuses to let me know if there is enough money in her account, and I am wary of cashing one or both checks, for fear that they might bounce and penalize her about $25, but I still wont get any money.

If it is any help, I have a lot of email communication from her acknowledging the debt and blatantly refusing to pay up (and also the checks she wrote out to me).

Can somebody please help me in figuring out if there is any way I can initiate legal proceedings against her, even if only to pressurize her into paying up.

Thanks,
V.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">