• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Owes Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spindle79

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Over the past two years my ex has borrowed money from me to pay her car, rent, insurance, etc.

She then lived with me for about 9 months with my roommate and I. I only charged my roommate 1/3 of the rent+utilities. I told my ex that she needed to pay 1/3 of the rent+utilities and she agreed. However, she did not make any payments.

We broke up abouto 5 months ago and I have been trying to get her to pay me back, even if in monthly payments as she owes me between $6,000 and $7,000.

She told me on seversal occasions that she could afford to make $400 a month payments. She then came into some money from the death of a family member and offered to pay me all at once.

She has not returned my phone calls for the past 3 weeks, and has made no attempt to keep to her promises.

Although there is no written documentation of our agreements, I do have several witnesses that know our entire situation and have been present when these agreements were made.

Would I be able to win in court if I sued her or am I better off just waiting until she (hopefully) pays me back.

JETX

spindle79 said:
Would I be able to win in court if I sued her or am I better off just waiting until she (hopefully) pays me back.
Of course, no once can answer that. I have seen some extremely solid cases get lost.... and some very feeble cases get won.
We don't know your ex, her financial condition or her intentions to pay.... or not.

spindle79

Well, she is very irresponsible with the money she does have, as her debt can show. This is something i would bring up to the judge to show that there has been a record of her being irresponsible. As far as her intentions to pay, I'm not sure or I wouldn't be thinking about taking her to court.

I guess asking if I would win was wonrg, but would I have a solid case?

JETX

spindle79 said:
I guess asking if I would win was wonrg, but would I have a solid case?
Without reviewing ALL of the facts, the only accurate answer I can give would be.... that if your witnesses all show up in court and confirm your statements that these were in fact loans with her making a statement of repayment.... your chances of winning would be good to very good. If these witnesses do not show up (or try to send affidavits), your chances decrease quickly.

S

seniorjudge

spindle79 said:
Thanks for the advice, I'll probably give her some more time and then go the legal path
If you win, how will you collect the judgment?
Does she have any money or assets?

S

seniorjudge

"She got over 20k from teh death in here family. She works two jobs and does not have ANY bills."

I'll be she's got guys lined up at her door!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">