• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex refuses to give back belongings.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cwirtzfeld

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?: Minnesota.

In the summer of 2010, I moved from Minnesota to Kansas and began my 10th grade year of high school. I met my soon to be (ex)girlfriend, Katie. Things at home for her were not the best, and the winter of 2011, my junior and her senior year, she was kicked out. We took her in and expected nothing in return. She lived with us until May, and we began dating February 20th, 2012. Fast forward a month, and my father had decided that it was time to move back to Minnesota. Katie wanted to go but had to go to summer school first, so, we packed up some of her things, and she promised us that she would come to live with us in Minnesota, only, this didn't happen.
Before we moved, we brought her to her grandmothers house to live there the day before we moved, and I gave her my Class ring, Nintendo 64, and a few other things (Gee, can you tell I'm a teenager?). The class ring was a promise that we would be back together. The N64 was only because she wanted to play the games I had for it, and I figured "why the hell not, I'll be seeing her in a month or two."

Katie cheated on my only a couple of weeks after we moved to Minnesota (The move was 5/29/12), and we broke up mid-June, but remained friends. Fast forward to current day. She began dating a second person and I had enough. I told her I didn't want to be friends anymore, and that I wanted my stuff back. This was roughly 4 weeks ago. She promised my friend, Preston, that she would bring him my stuff to his work today (6/21/13) so Preston could send it to me.

While I was at work yesterday, Katie called me and said she needed someone to talk to. I told her no, and she became angry. She went off on a rant, and told my best friend I wasn't getting my stuff back and she got rid of the ring and my games/controllers for the Nintendo 64. Do I have a case against her to get my stuff back, or am I out of luck?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?: Minnesota.

In the summer of 2010, I moved from Minnesota to Kansas and began my 10th grade year of high school. I met my soon to be (ex)girlfriend, Katie. Things at home for her were not the best, and the winter of 2011, my junior and her senior year, she was kicked out. We took her in and expected nothing in return. She lived with us until May, and we began dating February 20th, 2012. Fast forward a month, and my father had decided that it was time to move back to Minnesota. Katie wanted to go but had to go to summer school first, so, we packed up some of her things, and she promised us that she would come to live with us in Minnesota, only, this didn't happen.
Before we moved, we brought her to her grandmothers house to live there the day before we moved, and I gave her my Class ring, Nintendo 64, and a few other things (Gee, can you tell I'm a teenager?). The class ring was a promise that we would be back together. The N64 was only because she wanted to play the games I had for it, and I figured "why the hell not, I'll be seeing her in a month or two."

Katie cheated on my only a couple of weeks after we moved to Minnesota (The move was 5/29/12), and we broke up mid-June, but remained friends. Fast forward to current day. She began dating a second person and I had enough. I told her I didn't want to be friends anymore, and that I wanted my stuff back. This was roughly 4 weeks ago. She promised my friend, Preston, that she would bring him my stuff to his work today (6/21/13) so Preston could send it to me.

While I was at work yesterday, Katie called me and said she needed someone to talk to. I told her no, and she became angry. She went off on a rant, and told my best friend I wasn't getting my stuff back and she got rid of the ring and my games/controllers for the Nintendo 64. Do I have a case against her to get my stuff back, or am I out of luck?
Nope. You GAVE her your class ring -- that became a gift. You also gave her the N64 -- another gift. It ceased being your stuff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">