• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-roommate refuses to pay rent and deposit back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajgupta

What is the name of your state? PA

Hi,

I moved in with someone I considered like a brother into an apartment in Philadelphia in May 2005. I knew him for over a year and a half before we moved in together when he was in college and I had started working. He would have money issues and I would pay for his share of the rent and utilities. He would always repay me back.

I moved to columbus, OH (at the end of our lease) in August 2006. He decided to stay in the apartment and got a friend of his to take over my lease. I was supposed to get my share of the deposit from the friend as well as the remainder of the rent and utility bills which totalled about $1500. Both of them mentioned that they would pay me asap. I left without taking any money as I felt i was dealing with someone real close to me.

I have emails from him (September) stating I will get all the money from him and that I should not worry about it. Recently, he stopped answering my calls and emails. I still felt that it was nothing serious as he was really close to me. I met him last week when i went down to Philadelphia and he gave me about $500 back. Today I received an email from him stating that he is not going to pay me any more and some other personal stuff about how he's going to screw me because I apparantly have been using him all this while!

The personal stuff aside, I am contemplating suing him in a small claims court. We didnt have any roommate agreement but used an excel sheet where we kept tally of all payments and stuff. before I left, we orally agreed upon the amount that I should be receiving. I am wondering if I have a strong enough case to sue him in court. I have emails which state he owes me money. I have the email where he said he wont pay me anymore. I was taken off the lease in August but havent received my share of the deposit. Please help. I realize I am being screwed over and am still in shock from the email that I received today. Its not pretty.

Much obliged.

Last edited:

JETX

I am wondering if I have a strong enough case to sue him in court.
You certainly have the right to pursue a claim in court. How strong your claim is entirely up to the court to determine.
Given that.... it APPEARS from your post that you have a better than even chance of getting a judgment against him. Then you get the thrill and excitement of trying to enforce any judgment you might get!! :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">