• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex roommate suing for $30.00???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sheilarawr

I'm in Pennsylvania...

I moved out of my apartment the 2nd weekend of March. I fulfilled my obligation to my lease, and continued to pay my rent until a new roommate was found to take over. My landlord was fine with it, and my security deposit was returned last week.

My former roommate wants me to pay half of the utilities for the entire month of March, which is $60.00. This is totally trivial, but I feel that as I only USED the utilities for half of the month, that I should only have to pay $30.00. She has now threatened to sue me for the remaining $30.00, plus another $60.00 for the month of April (which, of course, I didn't even live there). I agreed via IM that I'd give her 30 now and 30 with my next paycheck, after she harassed me into it. She informed me that she's saving the message, and that if I don't pay up, she's taking me to court.

Does she even have a case for small claims, or is she just blowing out steam? Things are tight, obviously, or this wouldn't even be an issue...but I really can't afford potentially paying her court fees as well.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Let see - the one earlier today was for $40.00. This one is for $30.00.

What was the original agreement? Was it that you would pay for half the utilities while you both were on the same lease?

sheilarawr

as in the agreement between her and I? It was just assume that we'd split the utilities, nothing really formal in regards to that. It's enough that I paid for half of the cable (which I didn't use while living there).

I even bought her a 26.00 membership to a roommates website to find someone to take my place. She also broke lease on a regular basis by smoking pot on the premises and I kept my mouth shut.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">