• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Roommate is Threatening to Sue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mandaryn

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oregon

My former roommates and I signed a 9 month lease in August of 2004. In September, I had some monetary difficulties, and one of my roommates offered to help me pay my portion of the rent ($300), under the condition that I would pay her back when I was able to. We made an agreement that I would pay her third of the electricity and phone bills, as well as give her cash when I could afford it. This is what I did for September. Apparently, this was too slow of a method for her, and she decided to move out in mid-October, because I was "draining her resources." She also convinced my other roommate to move out. Keep in mind that this is breaking the lease, and we would have to pay approximately $550 each for doing so. I would not have been able to afford to pay that amount by the deadline. I am not on good terms with my parents, and would have no place to move if they forced the issue. The managers agreed to let me stay as long as I was looking for a new roommate. Now, both of my roommates moved out in mid-October. However, they did not sign the Roommate-release form until after November 5th, which is the last day that the rent can be paid without being considered late. Neither of them paid any portion of the rent. I struggled to come up with $595 and had to borrow from family members. Now the girl who loaned me the money in September is threatening to sue me for the $300 I owe her. I consider us to be even since she broke the lease and did not help pay the rent for November, even though she was still on the lease. I am wondering if she could actually bring this to Small Claims Court and win??

~Please Help!~

JETX

Mandaryn said:
Now the girl who loaned me the money in September is threatening to sue me for the $300 I owe her. I consider us to be even since she broke the lease and did not help pay the rent for November, even though she was still on the lease. I am wondering if she could actually bring this to Small Claims Court and win?
Of course she can sue you. After all, anyone can sue almost anyone else over almost anything.

Will she win?? If she is able to show the court that an agreement existed (your post doesn't say if her 'agreement' is in writing), then she would likely win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">