• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex is sueing me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JMWJCT

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My ex boyfriend bought me an ATV. Now he wants it back. He bought it on a credit card. I have all the original paperwork, he signed the back of the Certificate of Origin over to me. The bike is worth $6,000. He is sueing me for almost $7,000. I will be going to court in Novemeber. Should I get a lawyer? Please help!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JMWJCT said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My ex boyfriend bought me an ATV. Now he wants it back. He bought it on a credit card. I have all the original paperwork, he signed the back of the Certificate of Origin over to me. The bike is worth $6,000. He is sueing me for almost $7,000. I will be going to court in Novemeber. Should I get a lawyer? Please help!!

My response:

If the Title of the "vehicle" was signed over to you, what are you worried about? It's yours. Just show your evidence of ownership to the judge. Case closed.

Is there something more to this story you're not saying?

IAAL

J

JMWJCT

The thing that I am worried about is, Atv's do not have titles. They have a certificate of origin. The certificate is given by the dealership only. I spoke to a salesman he said that if someone signes the back it's null in void.

JETX

From the NJ Motor Vehicle Division:
"Snowmobiles and All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs)
Snowmobiles and ATVs that are operated on public lands, waters or across roads must be registered. The annual costs are:
Residents Snowmobile, $5; ATV, $10
Non-Residents Snowmobile, $7; ATV, $12

You must have proof of liability insurance and a registration certificate with you when operating the vehicle, and you must display the registration numbers on the outside of the vehicle.

These are some specific rules for operating a snowmobile or ATV on public lands or waters or across a public highway. You must be:
* 14 years or older to operate a snowmobile or ATV;
* 16 years or older to operate an ATV with an engine capacity greater than 90 cubic centimeters;
* 18 years or older to operate an ATV without completing an ATV training course. Riders under 18 must carry a certificate of completion. Call (800) 887-2887 for information.

For more information on laws about snowmobiles and ATVs, and the availability of manuals, call (888) 486-3339 toll free in New Jersey or (609) 292-6500 from out of state."

And here is a link to the site about titling an ATV purchased from an individual:
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/cit_registration/v_reg_snowmobile.html

J

JMWJCT

You need a notorized letter from the seller. He never gave me that. At the time I didn't know that. Do you think he will win because of that?

JETX

No one on this forum, especially since we are removed from the issue, can 'tell the future' to see what he might say, what you might say, or how the court might rule.

JETX

Excuse me for my temporary lack of civility and sympathy. Please let me try again....

"Do you think he will win because of that?"
*** What a stupid ass question to ask. We have no idea what claims he might make. We also have no idea what inane and ridiculous response you might make to his claim(s). Hell, we don't even know if the court will give more credibility to him than to you. And because of that, there is no way that ANYONE can answer your overly vague idiotic inane 'fortune telling' question.

Damn, your right.... I do feel better.
:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">