• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex suing...can I counterclaim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bailey77

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My ex-boyfriend had me served today for a small claims case for approx. $1600 because he was paying my car insurance while we were together. He has an email where I said I would pay him this money but only if he left me alone and put it in writing, this of course never happened so I never paid the money.

He has been harrassing me almost nonstop over the past 4 months. Emails, phone calls, graphic online profiles, sending false complaints to my job, giving out my numbers and addresses online and the list goes on and on.

Do I have grounds to counterclaim for harassment or possible deflimation of character? I have most of the voicemails recorded (approx. 50) and all of the emails and other documentation to prove the harrassment.

I have 14 days to respond to the paperwork and if I can countersue I would like to.

Thanks!

JETX

bailey77 said:
Do I have grounds to counterclaim for harassment or possible deflimation of character?
No. Harassment is not a civil complaint.... and there is nothing in your post that meets the definition of defamation of character. However, you can certainly file any claim you want for the courts consideration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">