• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Took Our Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keytokell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland My ex and I were living together for 3 years. I purchased a car and have the bill of sale in my name. We tagged it in his for insurance purposes. When he left he took the car. 3 weeks later he gave it back only to call the police and report it stolen so I had to surrender it. But, I have the bill of sale. And all the receipts for tags insurance etc in my name. Would like to recover the money I put into it. Can I?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland My ex and I were living together for 3 years. I purchased a car and have the bill of sale in my name. We tagged it in his for insurance purposes. When he left he took the car. 3 weeks later he gave it back only to call the police and report it stolen so I had to surrender it. But, I have the bill of sale. And all the receipts for tags insurance etc in my name. Would like to recover the money I put into it. Can I?
I take it you and your ex are not married???

Antigone*

No not married. Thank God.
This is part of the turmoil that happens when people who are not married play house. You are going to have a very difficult time convincing a judge of anything other than you both contributed to the vehicle.

Since you paid for the vehicle, and you pay the insurance, please tell my why he scam of putting it in boyfriend's name???

keytokell

At the time of the purchase it seemed like a good idea. His driving record is better and of course that meant cheaper insurance rate, stupidity. I have a text from him stating that he knows I paid for the car. Does that help?

Antigone*

At the time of the purchase it seemed like a good idea. His driving record is better and of course that meant cheaper insurance rate, stupidity. I have a text from him stating that he knows I paid for the car. Does that help?
There is nothing to stop you from taking him to court, it is really a toss up whether you get a judgement in your favor or not.

There is an element of fraud in what you did. I know it happens all the time, but it is still fraud. In addition to that you gave him all he might need to keep HIS car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">