• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex took property over state lines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lori_ftw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

For awhile my ex had some of my stuff (some expensive books) stored in his storage locker (In his name so I had no access) and was set to move to Arizona in 2 months. Over the course of those 2 months I asked for my books, and he said he would get them to me before he left never got my items to me. Come to moving day I ask for the books and he "Doesn't want to unload his truck to get them so he will get them to me" He hasn't. I will be a year in June and I want my books back, as they are out of print and rare.

I have texts and emails proving he was going to mail them, and that he lied about when I would be receiving them.

I want to know what legal action I can take to get my items back, or at least sound like I will sue him to get them back so he might just do it.

lori_ftw

Honestly, I haven't tabulated them. They are worth at least 600-1000 (new/like new condition which is what most of mine are), if I could even find them.

lori_ftw

I have texts and emails showing that I am asking for them every few weeks. I would have them sooner if he had not been lying about sending them. He left around June 2012.

lori_ftw

Also, is it Abandonment if I live in California, and he left with the items for Arizona, and I've been asking for them short of showing up on his doorstep, when he agreed to ship them to me?

OHRoadwarrior

Lets approach this from a logical perspective. The cost of making 2 or 3 trips to AZ to attend court, coupled with your inability to prove a specific quality or value from an unbiased appraisal, appears to make this a futile exercise. I suggest you chalk it up to poor judgment and go on with life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">