• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex took vehicle; title in my name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Missanti

What is the name of your state? The vehicle is titled in/still located in California. I have moved back to West Virginia.

I had bought a motorhome in California last summer, paid for by myself and my ex-boyfriend's mother. The title is in my name only, but she kept and then lost the receipt from the seller. My ex was abusive; when I escaped him and came home, it was not something for which I could plan. I could make no arrangement about the vehicle; it was a pack-and-run situation.

We later had a verbal agreement stating that he would pay me back for multiple things, including paying me a small fraction of what I paid for the motorhome, and, in return, I would sign the title over to him. I never quite believed he would follow through. He has not.

It's been six months now. He responds to phone calls and emails once every few months, and, of course, is not sending me any money. I know that I have no way of proving anything, and a snowball's chance in court. I am concerned, however, that he continues to live in and drive the motorhome which has my name on the title. He has no license, a history of theft (and a warrant out for his arrest, which he got on my birthday - a thoughtful gift, don't you think?), and drug issues. Ladies, he's a real prize. ;-)

My many inquiries are:

1. Am I legally responsible for tickets, accidents, and general stupidity he commits? I already feel the answer is "yes, dummy, you are!" I'm just wishing it was not true. :p
2. Is signing the title over to him my only option? I hate to give up on the slim chance of ever "getting anything out of this," yet I would hate paying new and unexpected ex-related bills even more. I don't want this vehicle in my name; I don't want to be legally responsible for such a person.
3. The local police said that since I technically allowed him to stay there, with permission, it is not stolen and therefore they cannot help. Is there any way to get my ex out of this vehicle, or repossess it? He doesn't legally own it; I do.
4. Would I be within my rights to sell it to another person (who would fully know of the situation)? My goal is not to get the motorhome into my actual, physical possession, since I live across the country now, but to recover at least some of the money I paid and to be rid of liability.
5. If I cannot sell it, can I donate it to a charity? If nothing else, I would like to give it to a charitable organization that could use it, or auction it for fundraising. Perhaps a domestic violence organization; it does seem like poetic justice is the only sort I can get.

I realize this is one of the longer posts on this forum, but I wanted to fully articulate my situation. Thank-you for any advice. I deeply appreciate your help.

Added Info: The vehicle is a 1972 Dodge. It's not worth much, maybe 2k; I had paid $1600.

Missanti

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">