• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex trying to make me pay for loan that my name isn't on ($3000) PLEASE HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kel0322

SOUTH CAROLINA.

My ex-boyfriend and I signed a 6 month lease for a condo. We moved in May 1st. 12 days later, he decided that he didn't want to be with me anymore, and he made me move out. He had somebody new living there before I could even get my possessions. A little over a month ago, he called to let me know that his roommate moved out, and that he couldn't afford the condo any longer. He asked if I wanted to have the place and I said no. He then stated that he was going to either borrow money from his family to pay off the lease, or he was going to take out a loan to pay for the remainder of the lease. He said that he was uninterested in taking my money, and that he got himself into this situation, therefore he would get himself out. 2 weeks ago, he took out a $3000 loan, and paid the real estate agent for the remainder of the lease. Now, my ex is trying to get me to pay him for the loan that he took out. My name is NOT listed on the loan anywhere. I'm sure that he is planning to take legal action. I have constantly been in contact with the real estate agent, to make sure the bills were being paid.. even when I wasn't living there. My name was still on the lease, so I made sure that everything was taken care of. Am I legally responsible for the LOAN?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
SOUTH CAROLINA.

My ex-boyfriend and I signed a 6 month lease for a condo. We moved in May 1st. 12 days later, he decided that he didn't want to be with me anymore, and he made me move out. He had somebody new living there before I could even get my possessions. A little over a month ago, he called to let me know that his roommate moved out, and that he couldn't afford the condo any longer. He asked if I wanted to have the place and I said no. He then stated that he was going to either borrow money from his family to pay off the lease, or he was going to take out a loan to pay for the remainder of the lease. He said that he was uninterested in taking my money, and that he got himself into this situation, therefore he would get himself out. 2 weeks ago, he took out a $3000 loan, and paid the real estate agent for the remainder of the lease. Now, my ex is trying to get me to pay him for the loan that he took out. My name is NOT listed on the loan anywhere. I'm sure that he is planning to take legal action. I have constantly been in contact with the real estate agent, to make sure the bills were being paid.. even when I wasn't living there. My name was still on the lease, so I made sure that everything was taken care of. Am I legally responsible for the LOAN?
Seems to me that a case can be made for you being responsible for at least 1/2 of the loan amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">