• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex wants cash gift back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gonecty

State: NY

While we were going out my ex had given me a legal cash gift, legal because there were was a gift document signed. After several years we decided to go on our seperate ways. My ex is now harrassing me for that cash gift back. My question is what is my legal responsibility? Since it was a legal gift how can I get my ex to stop bothering me? Thank you

HomeGuru

gonecty said:
State: NY

While we were going out my ex had given me a legal cash gift, legal because there were was a gift document signed. After several years we decided to go on our seperate ways. My ex is now harrassing me for that cash gift back. My question is what is my legal responsibility? Since it was a legal gift how can I get my ex to stop bothering me? Thank you
**A: how much are we talking here and do you know the definition of the word gift?

gonecty

We are talking about $6000 and I know it's a gift because my ex signed a gift affidavit. Basically I was buying a car and didn't have enough money and my ex decided to give it to me as a gift, the car loan company required that the gift be legal.

S

seniorjudge

gonecty said:
...Since it was a legal gift how can I get my ex to stop bothering me?...
Say to your ex: "Methinks this is pig gristle. Bite rocks!"

Your ex (and you should be greatful the ex is no longer around) is 100% wrong if you have this gift affidavit.

HomeGuru

gonecty said:
We are talking about $6000 and I know it's a gift because my ex signed a gift affidavit. Basically I was buying a car and didn't have enough money and my ex decided to give it to me as a gift, the car loan company required that the gift be legal.

**A: tell you ex to inhale some exhaust fumes because that's all he/she will be getting. Even if the gift was really a loan, you have the affidavit as evidence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">