• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Wife Suing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laxxrick

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland.

Here's the condensed version of my problem:

I was married, I separated from my wife in January of 2011 and moved out, and we were divorced in July 2011. She kept the house. In the divorce decree, my name will be removed from the deed. I'm currently investigating how to get removed from the mortgage, but it's not my immediate issue.

She states that she is going to sue me for a year's worth of mortgage payments. By the time I officially moved out back in January 2011, her boyfriend was already living there. They then subsequently got married and are in possession of the property. They even had a joint back account at the time I left. She also is stating she will sue me for half of the electric bills over the past year, because the electric is still in my name due to her poor credit.

Is she able to do this? What do you think would happen in this case?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland.

Here's the condensed version of my problem:

I was married, I separated from my wife in January of 2011 and moved out, and we were divorced in July 2011. She kept the house. In the divorce decree, my name will be removed from the deed. I'm currently investigating how to get removed from the mortgage, but it's not my immediate issue.

She states that she is going to sue me for a year's worth of mortgage payments. By the time I officially moved out back in January 2011, her boyfriend was already living there. They then subsequently got married and are in possession of the property. They even had a joint back account at the time I left. She also is stating she will sue me for half of the electric bills over the past year, because the electric is still in my name due to her poor credit.

Is she able to do this? What do you think would happen in this case?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
For what period is she claiming you owe her for mortgage payments? How about the electric payments? What is the total amount she is demanding from you?

When did you leave the property? When was your divorce finalized? What does the divorce decree say about these bills (as in, who is responsible for what bills from the marriage)?

In whose name is the house title listed? How about the mortgage?

laxxrick

Left January 2011, divorce finalized in July. Ex is threatening to sue me for 12 months of half the electric and 12 months of half the mortgage payment. It's not been added up but I calculate somewhere between 12-13k.

The house is currently titled in both of our names. I haven't gotten around to actually removing my name from the deed but I'm going to get it done very soon, as it was in our divorce decree... I might be a little late actually in getting it done. The mortgage is privately held by an individual so I don't think I'll have to go through as much as I would with a finance company to be removed.

She is also claiming she can sue me for a pension and a 401k that I cashed in. She forgot to pay our car insurance (she handled the bills in our marriage), and I got into a car accident. I caused massive damages and basically cashed in my life savings to pay off this $15k debt. I'm not under any pretense that I can get this money back... but it's ridiculous to think she can get money from it, especially when I used the money to pay jointly held debts. FYI, we were married when these were cashed in... between January when I left and July when our divorce was final.

FYI, I was stuck with all the liability for taxes for cashing this stuff out early.

There was a question about bill liability... there was no division of debt in our divorce agreement. I'm willing to pay off all the credit cards, collection accounts, etc. just to be away from this awful woman and have this nightmare of a marriage behind me.

Last edited:

Indiana Filer

The house is currently titled in both of our names. I haven't gotten around to actually removing my name from the deed but I'm going to get it done very soon, as it was in our divorce decree... I might be a little late actually in getting it done. The mortgage is privately held by an individual so I don't think I'll have to go through as much as I would with a finance company to be removed..
I'd recommend NOT removing your name from the deed until you are off the mortgage. If you remove your name first, you will be responsible for a mortgage on a property you do not own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">