• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex won't pay.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LoriC619

What is the name of your state? California

I have emails from my ex-bf stating that he would pay me back for money he borrowed from me. I wrote an email stating that I haven't forgotten the money he owed me and would like it by a due date. He replied back saying that he wasn't going to pay me back because "we were square," which isn't true. I only have my emails stating he'd pay me back and bank statements and a few receipts showing I paid his insurance. Can I use these as evidence? Are my emails and bank statements binding and upholdable? Any help here would be much appreciated. Thank you!

JETX

LoriC619 said:
Can I use these as evidence?
Yep, you sure can.

Are my emails and bank statements binding and upholdable?
The bank statements, yes. They can be used to support your claim by showing specific withdrawals and checks clearing. Of course, you may have to prove that they involved the ex and that he had agreed to repay, but they can be used to support your case.
As for the emails, they can be 'spoofed' very easily... so may have less value unless 'proven' by subpoena'ing his ISP's records to show that he sent the emails on the dates/times.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">