• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex won't return my possessions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

purplenot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I moved in with an boyfriend and then broke up with him leaving with only a suitcase. He has my possessions in a house that he owns. There was no lease but I paid $1000.00 to help with closing and the utilities were in my name. He is refusing to return most of my belongings. I moved in using a 16 foot U haul and have only had two car loads of things returned. All the furniture is mine, T.V.'s, kitchen items, etc. I have an email trail between us but not much else to prove the items were mine. He is stating now that he returned everything. If I take it to small claims what would help to defend my case? Do I even have a case? I have a receipt for a 16 foot U haul needed to move unfortunately, only a list of the items there (no receipts, picture, etc). I've tried the police but they won't help saying it's a civil matter. Also, is there any other recourse other than small claims? Thanks.

xylene

You need to sue in small claims for the VALUE of the items.

You can't sue for their return.

The value of the items is not the price you paid, not what you'd pay to replace them, but what they are worth.

Inventory the items and assign these values, gather any evidence etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">