• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exboyfriend Refusing to Repay Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MYFlorida

What is the name of your state? Florida

During the time my exboyfriend and I were together, he borrowed a total of $2215 from me. Some of the money went to pay rent on an apartment (that I never lived in), to pay his car insurance, and his electricity bill, etc. I've spoken with him about it and he said that he agreed to pay me back.

I typed out an itemized list of what he owes me, including dates and amounts and he agreed to it. I had him sign the bottom, stating that he had agreed to pay it. It's not an official document, just something I typed up and had him sign.

He has since found I'm dating someone new and has refused to repay any of what he owes me.

My questions:

Is this something that can be handled in small claims court?

If I were to take it to court, what is the likelyhood that it will rule in my favor?

Will my unofficial document hold up in small claims court?

What other things should I do to prepare for court?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

lwpat

"Is this something that can be handled in small claims court?"

Yes

"If I were to take it to court, what is the likelyhood that it will rule in my favor?"

Depends on the evidence presented.

"Will my unofficial document hold up in small claims court?"

If he signed it then it is a binding contract. Of couse he can always claim it is not his signature or that he repaid you in cash or anything else that comes into his mind.

"What other things should I do to prepare for court?"

I would attend some other trials to get familar with the procedures. Also any other written evidence that you may have. For example cancelled checks.

Remember that if you do win all that you have is a judgement. You still have to enter it and then try to collect.

NOTICE- The author of this post is not an attorney. The
information presented here is the result of the authors
research and thirty years experience in the legal codes,
cases and practices of the States of North and South Carolina,
and the county in which author resides and is for general
information only. Be advised the legal codes, cases, and
practices of any other state or county could vary greatly.
If you need legal advice contact an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">