• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

An expensive lesson.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksantiago

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

About 8 years ago I was dating a guy. We went to the mall and he fell in love with a bracelet. He tried getting the bracelet under his name but was denied. The savy sales convinced me to sign along with him. A few months later we split up and he was so upset he decided to stop paying for the bracelet and a ring he purchased as a gift for me under the same card. Now 8 years later and the bracelet is still ruining my credit. I called his home on several occassions but his family refuses to put him on the phone. I saw him in the street and asked him for the bracelet back (which he said he lost but was wearing it that day) but he refused to pay or give it back. My question would be is it too late to sue him and what are my odds of being successful. What if he doesn't show for the court date? I am afraid to spend money I do not have on taking him to court and loosing instead of using that money to pay off the debt. Any advice would be great thanks for listening....

Katy

CourtClerk

If I were the judge, I wouldn't give you a dime. You bought a bracelet and a ring. On your account, where his name appeared no where. Now that the relationship is over, you want the money.... tough. Happens all the time when girls think with something other than their brain and they shouldn't be compensated for it. No one convinced you to do anything, you did it because you wanted to. Last I checked, no was still a part of the English language. I've said it plenty of times without repercussion.

Ozark_Sophist

If I were the judge, I wouldn't give you a dime. You bought a bracelet and a ring. On your account, where his name appeared no where. Now that the relationship is over, you want the money.... tough. Happens all the time when girls think with something other than their brain and they shouldn't be compensated for it. No one convinced you to do anything, you did it because you wanted to. Last I checked, no was still a part of the English language. I've said it plenty of times without repercussion.

CourtClerk, you missed this from the OP:

He tried getting the bracelet under his name but was denied. The savy sales convinced me to sign along with him..
Take him to small claims.

dcatz

The OP still needs to clarify:
1) Was a joint credit account created, and
2) Was it fully paid (“the bracelet is still ruining my credit”), and
3) When.

Whether it was a joint obligation (perhaps creating a (poor) chance to seek contribution) or treated as a gift, the SOL (4 years on open accounts and oral agreements in FL) is long past based on the information posted.

If she was successful (big “if), could she collect?

At the very best, the OP is swimming against the current.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">